fork in road what to do about 7.3 PS parts truck - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2011, 09:23 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Red face fork in road what to do about 7.3 PS parts truck

i'm guys ...hopefully some PS experts can help shed some lite on my dilema ... not sure what to do now ..

in short is there anyway to diagnose the condition of the motor without too much expense or drama

the motor in my 97 PS ( which i'm into for wayyyyyyy too much $$$$ for repairs and upgrades to divest myself of .... or as my wife quaintly put it " were married to it LOL... ) died on me ...not worth fixing me thinks ...400,000 KM on it... Truck is still nice shape .

bought another 97 PS that was in an accident ... with less miles a few months ago for a heck a deal i was not able to see it running @ the time becuz some injectors missing .... i figured it was worth the risk ... i finally got it home ( 400 miles from here ) & running today...... had to pull start it to get it going ( starter bad) it's a standard which made it easier ...amazingly enuf it only took about 50 - 100 ft to start which surprised me with an accompanying HUGE cloud of blue smoke behind it ..... and ran really rough ( figured lots of air in system etc... ) the longer it ran the smoother it got and smoke disappeared UNTIL you goose it ... then smoke screen again after about half hour of idling etc it seemed to run nicely , barely any blowby ... nothing out the dipstick @ all but when you goose it that cloud of blue smoke ...

sooooooo now what to do ??? it's a hell of a lotta work to switch motors in my truck only to look like a piece of you know what oilburner

sooooooooo do i " hope & pray " ( yeah yeah i know that nevers works ) it goes away and/or heals thyself of thy ailment am i here ???

maybe it's a temporary situation as some have suggested it might just be burning off excess oil when you put new injectors & orings .... etc...
or spend $$$ to rebuild it ( which it may not need doing ).... BUT i coulda done that with my original motor in the first place and avoided all this drama

Last edited by netpro; 08-02-2011 at 09:48 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2011, 09:34 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

check the compression first. if its good then there is a good chance the valve stems are leaking. if they are leaking oil into the cylinder then there is a good chance proper maintenance wasnt done on the engine. if it were me i would rebuild your own motor with the motorcraft kit. the kit runs about 1200 bucks and includes everything to rebuild the engine. machine work and head work is of course extra but you should be able to rebuild it for less than 2500
Old 08-18-2011, 08:16 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

If you decide to sell either of your trucks let me know. I'm up in northern alberta but if the price is right I might be able to take the headache of you hands.
Old 08-19-2011, 11:56 AM

thanks for all the help but i finally got both motors out ....( neighbours front end loader eyes rollin haha) runs nice ........ going to do a bunch of the upgrades and fixes while i have it out ....... old one was auto trans ...parts truck was standard gotta swithc some things around ...this hould be " interesting hopefully have something good when i'm done ...one good truck out of 2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.