Crank no start, unless i add fuel to bowl - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2011, 12:46 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Crank no start, unless i add fuel to bowl

Hey all,
I figured this is the place to go for some help. 1996, CC, SB, AT, and the engine is all stock except for a Tymar intake. Installed new CPS yesterday and last winter I had a new fuel pump, valve cover gaskets, glow plug relay and glow plugs put in it. They also did something else for incoming fuel pressure when I start it. I cant remember the acronym, ICP or something like that. It cost something like $150.00 I think for them to replace it. Now the truck wont start if it sits more than a couple days unless I add some fuel to the fuel bowl. I have noticed no fuel leaks or fuel under the truck. The bowl will be down to about a 1/4 full. Should it still start with this much fuel in it or is another problem? Any ideas would be great. Oh yeah the truck has 179k on it. I really cant afford to send it anywhere right now so I would like to figure this out.
Thanks in advance
Travis
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2011, 06:12 PM
Premium Member

It has to be leaking and you are just not seeing it... Open and shut the drain, maybe it has some debris on the seal.... Wouldn't want to think there is an injector stuck open, dumping fuel into a cylinder...
Old 07-28-2011, 11:06 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Ok, I'll keep looking. One of our Chiefs at work told me to check the fuel regulator and he said there may also be bleeder on the side of the fuel bowl that will help prime it instead of pulling the fuel filter and adding diesel. I haven't been able to find it yet. I also noticed when the truck is turning over i don't get any white "smoke" from the tail pipe. Its about about 108 here today, should I still be able to see the smoke in the heat?
Thanks
Travis
Old 07-31-2011, 06:20 PM
Premium Member

You should be able to see smoke in the heat. There is a fuel pressure regulator screen on the drivers side of the bowl. Try that and then also check the pressure at the schrader valve on the bowl. You can use a simple gauge type tire pressure gauge (not the stick type). It should go from around 10-12psi then jump up to 40+ psi. It is a two stage pump. First stage draws the fuel from the tank and the second sends the pressure.
Old 07-31-2011, 07:16 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Thanks, Ill give it a shot and let you know what I find.
Travis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.