FAN CLUTCH - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2011, 01:20 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
FAN CLUTCH

Hi, has anybody ever had trouble removing fan clutch from a 7.3 PSD ,i have
a problem with mine the book i have says it loosens clock wise but it will not in either direction,any suggestions,thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2011, 02:38 AM
Shaking the Bush Boss

yea, they can be stubborn......throw alittle heat to it......
Old 07-24-2011, 03:05 AM
Powerstroke Techie

If I remember right it's counterclockwise to loosen isn't it? Doesn't the shroud say "right hand thread"? That should be "righty tighty, lefty loosy", like normal threads. If you're looking at it from the front you should turn it counter clockwise.

Heat works, or put your wrench on it and smack it hard with a hammer. If that doesn't work take a big punch, and hit on the flats of the fan clutch nut, then try loosening it again. I use a air hammer and a special fan clutch removal tool that works like a charm. But I've gotten them off without it.
Old 07-24-2011, 07:46 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
It's well worth it to just get the right wrench to hold the nut. Then, go to Lowe's and get an adjustable spanner wrench out of the plumbing section and grind down the wing nut until you can get it in there to hold the pulley bolts. Put a piece of pipe on the spanner wrench and a breaker bar on the nut wrench and just crack them apart. It's a standard right hand thread. When you go to put it back together, I'd recommend loctite. I had a notably bad experience where the nut wasn't tight enough and I didn't use any loctite.
Old 07-24-2011, 08:03 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgg93 View Post
It's well worth it to just get the right wrench to hold the nut. Then, go to Lowe's and get an adjustable spanner wrench out of the plumbing section and grind down the wing nut until you can get it in there to hold the pulley bolts. Put a piece of pipe on the spanner wrench and a breaker bar on the nut wrench and just crack them apart. It's a standard right hand thread. When you go to put it back together, I'd recommend loctite. I had a notably bad experience where the nut wasn't tight enough and I didn't use any loctite.
Good ideas. Personally I'd never use loctite though. I always never seize them up. I imagine with loctite you'd have a heck of a time ever getting it back apart. Just make sure you tighten it when you install it. The way the fan is designed it tightens down on itself when it's engaged. When I first started as a mechanic I didn't tighten them down until I had one fly off on me.... Not pretty. Usually happens if you have it revved up and let off quickly. But with the never seize and snugging it I haven't had one come off again, and I've had hundreds of fan clutches off.
Old 07-24-2011, 01:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

FAN CLUCTH

Thanks for all of the replies,the one i was leaning towards was using heat this
truck was worked on by a garage years ago and i think they used loctite also on the water pump bolts also as they are almost impossible to get loose.
Old 07-26-2011, 11:54 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
It helps to do all of these things (or try to) with the belt still on. It kinda helps hold the pulley still.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.