Another no power question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2011, 11:48 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Another no power question

Hey Guys

Having a problem with my truck not having any power at certain times.

First start up of the day goes ok. Idles poorly though. I leave the driveway and 300 yards down the road the truck starts loping really badly and misfiring until I have absolutely nothing left for power and then the truck dies. I sit for a few seconds, crank it over a for 10 seconds, 2 or 3 times and it fires back up but sounds like a diesel would if it ran out of fuel. Barking and shaking away and then it smooths out. I go down the road after that first shut down and the truck will run, like crap of course, until I approach a hill. When that first hill is presented to the truck it does all the same things that it did when I first leave the driveway. Backfires till it dies. Crank it over a bunch, idles crappy then I keep going up the hill, make it 100 yards, andddd repeat the process.

Ive changed the CPS a few weeks ago for something else.

New fuel filter just the other day because I figured Id start with that, no improvements tho.

Im a boat mechanic by trade and understand how diesels work, but I don't work on diesels on a daily basis, so thats why I came to the pros.

If I were to guess id go with either lift pump or fuel pressure regulator?

Anyone else have ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2011, 06:06 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I'm not doubting your knowledge or skills but is the oil level ok and how old is the oil? What were the other problems you had with it?
Old 07-23-2011, 06:17 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by White95f250 View Post
I'm not doubting your knowledge or skills but is the oil level ok and how old is the oil? What were the other problems you had with it?
Trust me I take 0 offense to debating my skills! Oil level is good and oil is about 1600 miles old.

Previous issue was that the truck wouldn't start. I changed the crank sensor and it worked fine for a 1600 mile trip to SC and back from NJ
Old 07-23-2011, 06:21 PM

What was the fuel level when this happened?

I had the same symptoms for the most part and it was cause I got air in the line. All said and done I put it in neutral and gave it a few good revs to force the air out and now all is good.
Old 07-23-2011, 06:25 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I've switched back and forth between the two tanks. 1 is at a quarter tank the other is full. I thought air in the lines at first also but I've managed to put 34 miles on the truck with this issue attempting to figure it out. I would guess after that amount of driving the air would work it's way out? Unless there's something causin constant air in the lines
Old 07-24-2011, 04:02 AM

Could be the lift pump,you can check pressure at schrader valve.Another thought comes to mind the Idm may have water in it giving you the random issue.Too me ,these are the cheapest and easiest tests.I've seen many a post on the watered idm,guys remove them and can hear it sloosh.
Old 07-24-2011, 04:16 AM
Powerstroke Techie

I would start with checking fuel pressure. Mechanical fuel pumps are kind of goofy. It might be making enough fuel pressure to run but when you put it under load it's dying off.

Fuel pressure is easy to check. I wouldn't be running it much though. Low fuel pressure is hard on injectors.
Old 07-24-2011, 02:13 PM

You can drive it all day with air in the line and it running like crap. But you must FORCE the air out by putting it in neutral and giving it a few good revs.

But I would do the above tests first and if it is all ok then try the rev procedure and see if anything changes.
Old 07-25-2011, 07:59 PM

not to thread jack but what if u have e-fuel and u have a new IDM....
Old 07-28-2011, 05:59 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I checked the fuel pressure at the shrader valve with the pressure gauge and had a very consistent 65 +/- psi at idle and while reving it up (no load) but was still not running right at all.

I know that there are many cases of IDMs causing a problem. However I do not know where the IDM...sorry its not something i see on a daily basis working on boats so im behind the 8 ball on where diesel specific parts are on the ol' 7.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by White95f250 View Post
You can drive it all day with air in the line and it running like crap. But you must FORCE the air out by putting it in neutral and giving it a few good revs.

But I would do the above tests first and if it is all ok then try the rev procedure and see if anything changes.
I tried this also just to make an easy diagnosis...no such luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.