Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Cold start Heavy white smoke

2K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  dieselmate 
#1 ·
I have a 97 ps 7.3. The previous owner installed beans diesel stage 1 (140HP) injectors, superchips comp. and some other performance upgrades. The truck has 200k and seems to run well...EXCEPT.
Any time the engine is cold(meaning hasn't been started for hours and not cold weather). The exhaust blows heavy white smoke until it is up to temp. Really heavy smoke that fills the entire street. It also will occasionally emit white smoke at idle while warm at a stop or something similar.
Once it is warm and I am driving normally, the truck really kicks. All temps, oil presures, EGT are normal. Boost is really good.It will normally throw a quick cloud of black smoke when I really hit it.
I recently had a bullydog 6 position installed.
I have had the truck at 2 different shops. One diagnosed it as sticky injectors and attempted to free the with rev-x etc. They were getting faults on the operation of random injectors while the truck is first started. Still Smokes like crazy.
The other also were getting faults on random injectors at startup. Once warm, they weren't getting any errors. Essentially they told me that the injectors most likely were not extruded properly and therefore when cold, are not operating properly....the smoke is all unburnt fuel. There fix was to replace all the injectors with stock injectors.
The engine starts right up and comes to a pretty good idle quickly.
I would really like to keep aftermarket injectors to keep the trucks power up, BUT cannot keep it in the current condition.
Can anybody help? I love the truck and am willing to put some money into it to keep it, but if I keep spending money that doesn't solve the problem, I won't.
Thanks

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.