95 PSD Hard starting.. Probably a glow plug issue but..... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2011, 09:51 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
95 PSD Hard starting.. Probably a glow plug issue but.....

So here's the background story. I just transferred to Kodiak AK from Michigan. I had to drive my truck to Pontoon Beach IL (St. Louis MO area) to have it shipped up here. On my way down, my water pump went out, and since I couldn't ship my truck with a ton of stuff in it, I took all my tools out. So needless to say I had to let someone else under the hood to fix it. Sucked, but it is what it is. That was April 28th.. Fast forward to June 27th, I got to the transportation office to pick my baby back up, and they say it won't start, and that I'm responsible for getting a tow truck to get it out of there. WTF I just drove it 750 miles the last time I was in it, and now it won't start? The temp here has been in the mid 50's to the mid 60's for the last two weeks, and that's nowhere near what it was in Sault Ste. Marie when I left, at the end of april, we were still in the low 40's. Either way, I asked if I could plug my truck in for a half hour or so and see if it would start, and sure enough it did. And now it still starts, but it takes about 2 to 3 times as long as it used to. So I have to believe it's the probably the relay, or is there anything in the area of the waterpump that the mechanic that fixed it might have knocked loose or anything. I'd like to get this fixed before the end of the month, because I'm about to leave on a few month deployment and when I get back it'll likely be either snowing or getting ready to. Thanks...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2011, 06:43 AM

I've got to go with your hunch on the relay,volt meter should tell ya.If the batteries are up to snuff I can't think of anything else that they coulda messed with. Does the old girl have a lot of miles?
Old 07-18-2011, 02:09 PM
Serving Our Country!

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyeco View Post
I've got to go with your hunch on the relay,volt meter should tell ya.If the batteries are up to snuff I can't think of anything else that they coulda messed with. Does the old girl have a lot of miles?
Sorry it took me so long to get back, I've been dealing with generator issues on the ship and pre-deployment briefings etc... I'm starting to think that it might be something else, because last night I plugged my truck in overnight and it was still a ***** to start. I'm going to go check out the relay right now though.
Old 07-18-2011, 10:25 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Betting glow plugs most likely.
Old 07-19-2011, 04:35 AM

With this hot weather we are all having,I doubt it's a glow plug issue. The 95's are prone to have the HPOP drain down over a period of time ,such as your case.Have you checked the level of oil in the HPOP? Could be low,not pressuring injectors fully.

Last edited by Chop; 07-19-2011 at 04:39 AM. Reason: word
Old 07-19-2011, 08:50 AM
Serving Our Country!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chop View Post
With this hot weather we are all having,I doubt it's a glow plug issue. The 95's are prone to have the HPOP drain down over a period of time ,such as your case.Have you checked the level of oil in the HPOP? Could be low,not pressuring injectors fully.
Well, you may be having "hot" weather, but here in Alaska we are having what I would call "comfortable" weather, 65-70 and sunny. No I haven't checked that yet, and to be honest I don't know where to look for that. I checked my GPR and it was fine, and I checked the glow plugs themselves and all tested between .6 and 1.1 ohms, not sure if that's good or not. Next thing I was reading about was the injector O rings maybe? I think the HPOP draining sounds logical though. My truck did sit for almost 2 months during shipping before I got it back.

EDIT: I'm a Fairbanks-Morse Opposed Piston and EMD Mechanic, so there's not much that's outside the scope of my abilities.

Last edited by parepadarappa; 07-19-2011 at 09:14 AM.
Old 07-19-2011, 12:17 PM

From what I understand temperatures above 50 the glow plugs usually are not needed.On top of the HPOP there is a plug that can be removed and you should be able too see or dip a screw driver into the reservior for oil.Unfortunately I am uncertain about this procedure having never done this.Hopefully someone will chime in and help you soon.My mistake not reading your location.In the great state of Alaska,I would suggest the best glowplugs available,a stancor relay,and lighter weight engine oil and of course the block warmer,If possible use your nieghbors or obama's electricity
Old 07-19-2011, 02:17 PM
Serving Our Country!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chop View Post
From what I understand temperatures above 50 the glow plugs usually are not needed.On top of the HPOP there is a plug that can be removed and you should be able too see or dip a screw driver into the reservior for oil.Unfortunately I am uncertain about this procedure having never done this.Hopefully someone will chime in and help you soon.My mistake not reading your location.In the great state of Alaska,I would suggest the best glowplugs available,a stancor relay,and lighter weight engine oil and of course the block warmer,If possible use your nieghbors or obama's electricity
Where is the HPOP? And weather here should be warmer this winter than it was in Michigan. They say that it usually hovers between 15-45 and rarey goes below that, compared to Michigan where the winter average is probably 15 or so, with weeks in the -'s. Last winter we had two straight days with highs of -20. That sucked. Anyhow, I started the truck this morning and it took a lot of cranking. White smoke puffing out the tailpipe until it started. Definitely a lot of unburnt fuel.
Old 07-20-2011, 03:23 AM

The HPOP is in the front of engine,the radiator side of fuel bowl.the HPOP "pump" itself sits in the valley mounted to the timing case cover.Again I have not had to deal with this but have read many posts on this site.When these guys upgrade their injectors they also go with with an upgraded HPOP,more pressure.The Superduty have the 17 HPOP,where we have the 15.I wish I could be more helpful,hopefully someone with the know how will help you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.