starts and idles rough and then starts to miss/cut out and then dies?? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2011, 04:41 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exclamation starts and idles rough and then starts to miss/cut out and then dies??

the story is i drove her to work this morning with no incident and when i went to run an errand at lunch i started her and it was really rough start and that's when i knew something was up. and it all went downhill from there as she continued to run rough as hell and then started to miss and cut out until the point that she died. tried to start the truck again same thing instantly. went back to work and tried it at the end of the day and it started smooth and ran for about 2mins before it started to miss a little bit but just got worse till it died agian super stumped. when the GPR went out that was easy to diagnose cuz she just wouldn't start. i just bought the truck last year and dont know alot about the service record of the previous owner.just got a good deal on her replaced the fuel filter and cleaned the EGR and replaced that sensor too when i got it. the truck wasn't running when i got it and those items got her rollin again I'm thinking it's a sensor of some sort but just not sure which one any help is greatly appreciated!! thanks aton! i hope i gave enough info and let me know of any questions i can answer to add clues
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2011, 05:53 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Sounds like you need to change the fuel filter again.
Old 07-10-2011, 06:01 PM

A new filter and cps are in order for tomorrow. All the shops were closed on me today.keep ya posted.any other suggestions on things to replace tomorrow? Thanks a ton!!
Old 07-10-2011, 06:07 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Do one thing at a time. First the fuel filter. Why throw a bunch of parts at it at once, you'll never know which fixed your problem. I would bet it is the fuel filter. You have to remember that the 7.3 was a damn good motor and most problems are easy fixes. Start with the most common and easy fix first.
Old 07-13-2011, 02:31 PM

sorry im just gettin back now but to add to my problems had a family emergency to deal with and just got back to town today. guess it's just really my week to shine. so my truck sat at the job site while i was gone and came back today and changed the fuel filter and same symptoms. will start and idle and run smooth and then just starts to cut out/miss and then to the point that it dies. and it ran for atleast 5minutes fine before it started to cut out. then i started the truck again and it will idle but will not drive. the second you try to start moving the engine begins to cut out agian?? and this happens within 2 minutes of the start. why would it run for 5+ minutes fine the first start and now cant run for more than 2 min?? man o man am i stumped! any ideas. just got a cps and going to drive back out and replace that now. any ideas are greatly appreciated thanks a ton! -Eric H.
Old 07-13-2011, 05:47 PM

just an update for ya. threw on the cps and ran well enough to get her home. smoothed out the idle a ton!! just sounds better. still a little somethin up with her runnin funky but that's another day. pretty stoked she's back home again where she belongs thanks a ton for the help out and suggestions man! i was flustered and gettin ahead of myself just wantin to start replacing all sorts of stuff. thanks for slowin me down a bit so i could actually figure what the problem was! greatly appreciated man. big shout out to Nashotah7!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.