1997 7.3 Powerstroke runs rough/misses (only some times) - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2011, 07:04 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
1997 7.3 Powerstroke runs rough/misses (only some times)

Dear fellow PowerStroke owners,
I would really appreciate any input as it relates to my confounding problem on my 1997 F-250 7.3 liter powerstroke w/auto transmission. 191,000 miles, all stock.

Problem #1 - The issue that I have encountered recently is that occasionally (and becoming quite frequent) is that while at an idle or just cruising down the road my truck will start to seemingly missfire. It will buck back and forth a little causing some driveline slap. If I accelerate hard it seems to run fine but when I let off the throttle and just cruise is persists and then sometimes just goes away. When at an idle occasionally this will start as well and then it seems to be missing or running out of fuel almost stalling but recovering itself always (so far). After it seems to sit for a short period of time it seems to go away until I drive it again for roughly 20 miles and then the whole charade starts again (but not always as sometimes within a short period of time or distance it starts again). I have recently changed the differential speed sensor, TPS sensor (mounted to accelerator pedal, which by the way was extremely hard to find as everyone wanted to sell me a complete pedal assembly), the cam position sensor and fuel/air filter yet there appears to be no benefit to this. What gives? are there any other sensors anywhere that I am overlooking?

Problem #2 - Occasionally when accelerating out of first gear it wants to hold first gear indefinitely without shifting into 2nd gear. When I let up on the throttle somewhat it seems to go into second just fine and from there shifts upwards normally. I recently had the complete transmission rebuilt (4000 miles ago) including replacement of torque converter. Any ideas? Is it possible that both symptoms from questions #1 and #2 are on the account of one problematic sensor or failing part? Please advise.

Regards,
Duane
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2011, 07:17 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

check your valve cover harness and connections. wiggle them to see if it affects the engine.
Old 07-06-2011, 10:42 PM
Can you hear the derail??

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
could be the filter too, isnt there a pump in the tank as well?
Old 07-14-2011, 01:31 PM

problem #1- im no pro but i'd do the icp sensor next. hope that helps
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.