96 F250 Won't start - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2011, 01:07 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
96 F250 Won't start

Pulled into an auto store today to get some bulbs for the outside cab brake light. Plugged them in, they worked, got in to start the truck and nothing. Didn't turn over or anything. Literally, no sound at all when the key is all the way.

The "wait to start" light comes on. All the power parts work (windows, locks, A/C, lights, etc.) Pulled all the fuses in the cab, and none were burned out. PUlled the fuses in the engine and none were burned out.

That's the extent of my troubleshooting unfortunately. Now it is sitting at the store and I don't know what to do other than get it towed.

Any ideas or secret solutions I don't know about?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2011, 02:42 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Automatic or manual tranny?

Do you hear any "click" from under the hood when you turn the key to START?
Old 05-14-2011, 07:57 PM

5spd manual. And I did hear a click.

Here's an update though. I went back to try one more time and got it to start by pulling back about 1/2 and inch off the clutch. I was pushing it to the floor to start it but by happenstance, I eased off my foot a bit and it turned over and cranked as if I had two brand new nuclear powered batteries in it.

ANy ideas? Bad clutch? Was I just pushing too hard on the clutch during start?
Old 05-14-2011, 10:39 PM

Clutch is fine. It's the switch. Slither up under the dash, look where the clutch pushrod goes into the firewall. There's a cylindrical plastic thing around the pushrod, with an electrical connector. That's the clutch switch. Two switches in one, actually. One set of contacts OPENS just as you start to move the clutch pedal; that interrupts the cruise. THe other set CLOSES when the clutch pedal is at the floor; that completes the circuit to the starter relay. Evidently yours is out of adjustment. Maybe it's not snug up against the master cylinder / firewall. Anyway, that's where your problem lies.
Old 05-15-2011, 06:25 AM

@madpogue, you made my day. I will go out there and look today. What exactly and how exactly would I adjust it? Or are there instructions you can point me to that are floating around in the interwebs?
Old 05-16-2011, 05:20 AM

Well there's no adjustment procedure in the FSM, but I'd say just get up under there and look at it, and make sure it's snug up against the firewall. There's a little tab on the M/C coming through the firewall that holds it in place.
Old 05-16-2011, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpogue View Post
Well there's no adjustment procedure in the FSM, but I'd say just get up under there and look at it, and make sure it's snug up against the firewall. There's a little tab on the M/C coming through the firewall that holds it in place.
Boy it's a mess up in there I looked up there to find the clutch switch and I was surprised at how jumbled the wires and other pedals are (can you tell I am not mechanically inclined?). I did find the clutch switch. Looks like a small black canister around the push rod(?) from the clutch. I saw that damnable plastic bushing as well, that can break and cause sluggish feeling clutch behavior. The bushing looked good, so I will just have to play with the clutch switch and see if there is any space between it and the firewall.

Thanks for your help!
Old 05-31-2011, 10:20 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Send a message via AIM to 250dieselboy
can this happen in an auto too? i have a 95 f250 psd and it makes one click but it sounds like the starter gear is still stuck on the flywheel, when this happens i have to cross the terminals on the starter to start it, its really bugging me that i have to do this. i just replaced the starter solenoid and it didnt help, hope its not the starter, any suggestions?
Old 05-31-2011, 01:09 PM

Did you replace the solenoid (on the starter) or the relay (on the fender)?

Switch is different on the automatics; it's part of the "range selector" switch, basically, the thing that opens and closes different contacts when you put the shifter in different positions. If the starter gear is sticking, it's unlikely to be the neutral switch, as it usually only disables the starter when it fails.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.