Join Date: Nov 2009
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
7.3L Oil Pan leak - Fix in the truck?
Well my 7.3 oil pan seal is leaking - again.
A couple years ago I did the whole engine removal and replaced the pan itself because it had rusted through. I followed all the right steps and used the Ford oil pan sealer in the caulking gun tube, replaced all of the main seals & all that at the same time, etc. But the truck doesn't get driven often, and after sitting most of the winter it has developed a rather significant leak from a back corner of the oil pan seal. Apparently I didn't do it good enough the first time or maybe it just dried out during winter storage.
I know it has been discussed much already, but I'll ask anyway - Has anyone on the forum had any luck with re-sealing a perfectly good oil pan (the pan itself does not need to be replaced) while inside the truck?
I am really tempted to try one of two options to try to save some time:
1. Remove the transmission & flywheel, and use the Ford sealer to caulk in the joint where the pan meets the block, sort of like caulking a bathtub, without separating the pan from the block at all (to avoid breaking the seal where it is not leaking).
2. Weld or bolt some steel between the frame rails to prevent spreading, and torch out the rivets holding the crossmember in under the oil pan and remove it. Then the pan could come out & in and I could bolt or weld the crossmember back in. This would also enable me to do it again when it leaks again next time.
I know it is a relatively easy engine to get in & out, I did do it myself last time with the help of a few friends and a rented engine crane, and it would be well worth it if the oil pan seal would have lasted more than 15 months. I am just trying to avoid that amount of work/time/expense this time, and if it is going to be a recurring issue I want to find a method to make it relatively easy to do again every year or two.
Any suggestions or comments on my ideas above would be appreciated.
Or if anyone knows of a reputable repair place in the Minneapolis area who can seal an oil pan (and guarantee it) for a reasonable price please pass along. The best quote I have so far is $1750 from a Ford dealer.
- Former Ford mechanic & FoMoCo employee
- Maple Grove, MN
1995 F350 Regular Cab 4x4 XLT
- manual trans & transfer case
- single rear wheel
- original owner (all 210,000+ miles are mine!)