94 psd building boost slowly? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2011, 07:05 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
94 psd building boost slowly?

Ive had my truck for about a month now and am totally new to turbo diesels. its a 94 5 spd with 180 k on it. its all stock besides gauges, intake and a turboback. i thought the truck drove like it should. but after giving a few other powerstroke owners a ride and even a ford mechanic theyre telling me something isnt right. the truck does not start building boost until 1800rpms or so and reaches full boost (15psi) barely right before im ready shift. Ive done alot of reading and talking with buddies but we cant track down the issue. anyone have any ideas to why my truck is soo slow to build boost? The boost kinda hits right at the end of the rpm range where it isnt very useable. Ive also driven a psd with double the miles and even when i would step on it the boost would build right away. Any help would be greatly appreciated. -Kurt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2011, 08:26 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
You check to see if the turbos ok? Take the intake boot off and look for broken fins or dinged up fins. Now there is nothing wrong with Glowshift gauges but I have heard of issues with the boost gauges being off. Also where is the boost line tied into?
Old 05-01-2011, 08:37 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

funny, my 96 e4od that i had did that....nothing then a whole lotta go. it was my first diesel so i thought that's just how she was.
Old 05-01-2011, 08:44 PM

Sounds like you need "the gas pedal". Early psd's were known for the throttle relay going bad. You used to have to buy the whole (peddle and sensor/relay) as one, but now just the relay/sensor can be bought seperatly. It is located just above the throttle asembly.
Old 05-01-2011, 08:56 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Nashotah7 are you talking about the TPS or something else?
Old 05-02-2011, 09:26 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96F350KID View Post
You check to see if the turbos ok? Take the intake boot off and look for broken fins or dinged up fins. Now there is nothing wrong with Glowshift gauges but I have heard of issues with the boost gauges being off. Also where is the boost line tied into?
when i did the intake i didnt see any broken fins or anything but then again i didnt look too closely. the gauges came in the truck so they werent my first choice. but you can deffinetly feel when the boost starts building its a big delay from when you put it to the floor. i was told its possibly an exhaust leak before the turbo, so it is not getting spooled properly. i didnt install the gauges so ill have to double check where thats tapped in but i dont feel like thats the issue. Thanks -Kurt
Old 05-02-2011, 09:28 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashotah7 View Post
Sounds like you need "the gas pedal". Early psd's were known for the throttle relay going bad. You used to have to buy the whole (peddle and sensor/relay) as one, but now just the relay/sensor can be bought seperatly. It is located just above the throttle asembly.

It feels to me as the pedal is working and responding fine though. its just when i floor it the motor responds and starts accelerating as if it were an all motor truck. then the boost hits at like 2-2.5k and winds out really fast
Old 05-02-2011, 10:39 AM

My 96 with the auto trans didn't start to really build boost until about 2k rpm... the turbos on these trucks aren't known for their quick spooling. That's why they went to a smaller, wastegated exhaust housing on the SD trucks.
Old 05-02-2011, 05:53 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

yeah but i just drove a 95 5spd psd all stock the other night. and me and the other owner agree theres no comparison. its reallly a stubborn problem haha
Old 05-03-2011, 12:33 PM

You can't feel if the relay is bad or not, it is a signal sent to the computer. I know a guy who has replaced his three times since he bought his truck new.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.