Fuel pump vs. Injection Pump - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2011, 02:57 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Fuel pump vs. Injection Pump

Is a fuel pump the same thing as an injection pump? Shop just told me I have a fuel leak and need a new fuel pump. They want $575 parts and labor for the job and I am trying to do my due diligence in pricing and determining whether I can do the job myself or not.

I am not a mechanic but I have a DIY spirit .... if that counts for anything
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2011, 03:04 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

There is no injection pump on a PSD. The fuel pump is in the valley of the motor under the turbo. Some guys pull the turbo to get to it, some have been able to get it out without pulling the turbo. Either way, the pump is about $120 and I wouldn't want to give the shop the extra $450 to do the work myself.
Old 04-26-2011, 03:25 PM

@superduty4x4, hate to put you on the spot but I won't hold you to it. If I have not worked on a diesel engine before, do you think I could do the fuel pump replacement myself. I am really trying to save the cash. I have to get my ball joints, tie rods and TTB bushings replaced and that isn't gonna be cheap. On top of that, they said I need my fuel pump, low pressure oil pump (didn't know there was one) and some other odds and ends fixed/replaced.

I reeling from the dollar signs flying away but I want to do this right so I can keep this truck running.
Old 04-26-2011, 04:00 PM

The fuel pump isn't all that bad to replace, from what I hear. I never had to do it on my 96. The problems most guys have are (1) getting to the banjo bolt on the back of the fuel pump and (2) losing the push rod inside the motor.
There is a ton of info on this subject if you can dredge it out in the search, but if you are remotely mechanically apt I wouldn't be too worried to tackle it. The low pressure oil pump is also a pretty easy swap once you get the damper off from what I understand. Hopefully someone with some actual experience will chime in soon
Old 04-26-2011, 04:36 PM

sounds to me the shop is giving you a long fix it list with $$$on their mind. I have attempted a few projects and got in over my head and ended up towing it to the shop anyway, but hey at least i tried and most of the time i get it done just fine.
Old 04-27-2011, 05:34 AM

@CowboyCody, I think you might be right. I bet I made the mistake of going in there and saying, "Hey, I am new to the diesel world and just got this truck. Can ya look it over for me and let me know what needs to be done?". Wrong, wrong, wrong.

I am certain they are right about the ball joints being really bad. The wheels cant inward at the top and when I turn (not even locking it out) I hear a rumbling noise. Now as far as the leaks in the fuel pump, low-pressure oil pump, power steering pump and a new clutch, hell I don't know.

Reading about the fuel pump kinda worries me to do it myself. Like @superduty4x4 was mentioned, I keep reading about them being hard to get off due to o-ring that are swollen and then about push rods dropping down in the engine and nightmares to get them out. I sure as heck don't need that issue.

Regarding the ball joints though, they gave me a quote of $1200-$1300 parts/labor for that and then they said the tie-rods needs replacing for $300 and the pivot bushings for $475. What do all think of those prices? I have NO reference points to judge by. As soon as I get the list of "issues" and their costs, I want to post the list and get people's opinions about prices and what they would do themselves or have a shop do it.
Old 04-27-2011, 05:49 AM

$300 for steering linkage is about right if it includes everything. $1200 dollars parts/labor to install ball joints and new steering linkage??? I need to change my line of work.
Old 04-27-2011, 05:56 AM

$1200 is JUST for the ball joints. Then on top of that was the $300 for tie-rods and $475 for the pivot bushings. So to get my rig at minimum safely drivable from this shop, it is gonna run me about $1975+ most likely. He was throwing comments out like "dangerous" to drive, "I wouldn't drive it", etc. I wouldn't know if he was telling me the truth or not unfortunately. I bought the thing 100 mile away, towed my other truck on a trailer back home with it, and have been driving it around town as my daily driver for two weeks before I learned all this. Kinda freaks me out that something could have broke and I would just go carreening into the other lane or someone's front yard.

Like I said, I don't have the complete list yet, but once I get it, I'd love to post it and get some opinions.
Old 04-27-2011, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbrotherx View Post
$1200 is JUST for the ball joints. Then on top of that was the $300 for tie-rods and $475 for the pivot bushings. So to get my rig at minimum safely drivable from this shop, it is gonna run me about $1975+ most likely. He was throwing comments out like "dangerous" to drive, "I wouldn't drive it", etc. I wouldn't know if he was telling me the truth or not unfortunately. I bought the thing 100 mile away, towed my other truck on a trailer back home with it, and have been driving it around town as my daily driver for two weeks before I learned all this. Kinda freaks me out that something could have broke and I would just go carreening into the other lane or someone's front yard.

Like I said, I don't have the complete list yet, but once I get it, I'd love to post it and get some opinions.
Get it out of there, yesterday if at all possible. $1200 in just labor for ball joints and TTB pivot bushings seems way steep. The pivot bushings may be a real biotch, but with some good tools and some time the ball joints can be done fairly easily.
Old 04-27-2011, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superduty4x4 View Post
Get it out of there, yesterday if at all possible. $1200 in just labor for ball joints and TTB pivot bushings seems way steep. The pivot bushings may be a real biotch, but with some good tools and some time the ball joints can be done fairly easily.
What's a reasonable price for parts and labor on a ball joint replacement if I have someone else do it? Also, what about parts and labor on the pivot bushings?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.