need advice... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2011, 08:36 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Smile need advice...

Hey fellas, I just bought a 96 250 ext cab, 4x4 stroke for $1000 bucks, it belonged to a friend of mine. It burnt up all the injector harness's on the right bank, he fixed these and the valve cover gasket and the harness to the valve cover too...while he was in there he replaced the glow plugs, noticed the tip was missing off of one, and pulled the injector out thinking he could see down the cylider to try and find the tip, well anyways long story short, he put it all back together and i guess he hydrolocked it, just trying to start it. im not sure what is broke, but i pulled the injector back out and stuck a long screwdriver thru the inj. cup pushed on the piston and it pushed down all the way to the bottom with no resistance...my question is, how much damage could have really happened, and should i try to tear it apart and fix it or what?? Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance!!

Tom
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2011, 06:54 PM

broken rod? in my opinion the only way to tell the damage is pull the pan and inspectagate.
Old 04-23-2011, 07:10 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Hmmmm, sounds like a little wrenching to do. If you don't want to do it, post some pics and I might give you a grand for it.
Old 04-24-2011, 08:07 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Dont mind the wrenching part, just dont know what im gonna see when i get inside, Im not quite as worried because it happened when he was trying to start it! I was a ford tech for about 9 years, never really did alot of diesel stuff, especially internal motor problems. I did the typical diagnosis, just never got inside of one. I have a couple friends taking bets whether its the piston or the rod that broke...What do you think??
Old 04-24-2011, 07:49 PM

I would think the rod, if it were the piston or wrist pin the rod would still be there to stop the movement of the piston, otherwise you would be rotating the whole crankshaft. Or it could be the piston and the rod. You never said if he got that tip out or not. If that tip was in there you would think that it would have put a hole in the top of the piston to get down to the rod, and if it went by the rings, I would say there is some bad things going on inside that motor. Sounds like its a pull and tear until you will find the real answer. Either way you will need the motor out to hopefully fix it or replace it.
Old 05-01-2011, 12:47 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Well...Its apart... The piston is all but gone, lots of schrapnel in the pan, bent the rod and twisted it as well. Bent a pushrod, there are a couple gouges in the cylinder, fairly deep. Is there a repair sleeve out there for cylinders on these things, can I bore one cylinder and put an over sized piston in it, or is it just plain ole scrap??? Gimme your input, Really appreciate the help!!
Old 05-01-2011, 08:36 PM

Reading this late on a Sunday night, so I didn't get to ask around, but I think the walls might be sleeved already. I'm not sure about that tho, just seems to me that I have heard that, but can't remember if it was for the 7.3 or not. I will clarify that tomorrow. But if they are not, I am sure they can be. It is too damn bad he didn't take the time and get that tip out. How does the crank and everything else look? How many miles on the motor, it would be interesting to see the inside and see how all the different components are holding up. Never had the oportunity to see one torn apart with a bunch of miles on it, mainly because there hasn't been a need.
Old 05-01-2011, 09:27 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Everything inside looks new, The bearings have a slight scuff but its not thru the coating. All of the cylinders have excellent cross hatching, and there wasnt a drop of sludge or slime in the motor anywhere!! I have been searching all night and did find out the block is not sleeved, I also cant find anywhere online where i could get a repair sleeve. Im gonna call a couple machine shops tomorrow, and see what they tell me. I checked a couple other forums and alot of guys say they have had theirs sleeved, but dont say where the sleeve come from. Oh I forgot the motor has 204,177 miles on it. Thanks for Replying!!
Old 05-02-2011, 06:59 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

So I did some calling around today...found a guy who will sleeve the motor for 120 bucks, thats including the sleeve and labor, checked parts prices at the ford dealer, should be able to have it on the road in about a week for a grand total of about 500 bucks! I am just a little worried about the hpop, im sure it has shavings in it, how does one go about cleaning one of those, or do i try to find another one to replace it? I have the motor completely disassembled, and ready to go to the machine shop, now all i have to do is find the time to get it there!
Old 05-03-2011, 12:30 PM

Found out that it wasn't the 7.3 like I was thinking. Thats not to bad of price if they do good work. I would think you should be able to flush the hpop somehow. Never seen anyone talk about it, but I would think that it can be done seeing that it is off the motor. I would make sure that there is nothing else floating around somewhere else also. Sounds like a good time to grab a couple beers and pull up a chair and go through it all while the block is at the machine shop. Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.