Major motor issue - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2011, 06:59 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Unhappy Major motor issue

So here are the details.

Sunday. Truck running rough and knocking. Stalls out about a mile from home. Get started and get back home. No oil on dipstick. Just added a couple quarts to top off about a week before.

Monday. Add 8 quarts of 15W-40 dino oil. About 1/2 way between add and full. Runs good.

Saturday. Knocking a little after leaving work (few miles away). Get home. No oil on dipstick. Add 8 quarts to bring oil above add level.

All this time, oil pressure gauge never changed when running. Always in center. I know, dummy gauge, but no oil should move it, right?

No major blue smoke that I can tell when accelerating when engine warmed up. Just a little on start up - say 15 seconds.

No oil in the fuel bowl.

Where is the oil going? No pools under truck. What would happen suddenly to burn 8 quarts in less than a week? Gasket? Injector o-rings? Turbo o-rings?

Each time it was driven and the oil ran out, it was short trips, say 15-20 miles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2011, 04:44 PM

engine oil cooler? if u got no oil on the ground, u gotta think about where its going right? where the oil pressure is higher than other fluid pressures. what about your intake? if the air filter is plugged, i've heard the turbo will suck oil past it's own seal. but you've lost alot of oil. I'd check your coolant the oil pressure is higher than the coolant at the oil cooler.
Old 04-21-2011, 01:58 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
inj

you using your oil as fuel inj are injecting oil as fuel to the engine bad injector or injectors when you have only 8 qts left in the oil pan you don't have oil for hpop and engine shuts off hope this helps
Old 04-28-2011, 06:25 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Just got the call from the mechanic. He says it's the dipstick plug. I've been dreading those words since I got the truck. Any way to take the pan down by just jacking the motor up? They are quoting me 2k to take the motor out, and this is my cousin's shop. 20 hours on the book. Sound right?
Old 04-28-2011, 06:46 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
if the plug was leaking the truck be soaked under and you would have oil dripping 8 qts makes a mess
Old 04-28-2011, 07:02 AM
I need money...

X2 If the plug was leaking there would be quite the mess under there.
Old 04-28-2011, 07:04 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

That's what I thought. No mess under the truck when sitting or running. I don't know. I think the mechanic is looking for an excuse. But maybe something showed up on the shop floor.
Old 04-28-2011, 07:24 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I wonder, can the nut and dipstick tube and assembly be welded right to the pan and avoid all this potential dipstick leaking BS once and for all?
Old 04-28-2011, 07:36 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I would also go with a bad injector o-ring. I used a gallon every 20 miles when mine were bad.Smoked blue in cold weather for a few minutes then stopped.Basicly burned I with fuel and lost fuel economy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.