94 f250 blue smoke after 2000rpm - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2011, 10:53 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
94 f250 blue smoke after 2000rpm

i have a 94 f250 with a banks quick turbo and intercooler kit. right now it is non chipped. after 2000rpm if i give it throttle it sputters and has blue sometimes white smoke. seems like it does it the worse at 65mph. its like a constant blue smoke. the smoke is light but you can still see it. lower rpms its fine. I usually shift it before 2 just so it doesn't do it. Anyone know what this could be. I just bought this truck about 3 months ago and am new to the powerstrokes. I'm mechanically inclined but only thing i've done on diesels is change racors, coolant changes, oil normal stuff. Any help would be appreciated. Trying to prevent taking it to the dealer for diagnostic if someone knows what it is. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2011, 08:41 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Wow no one knows what this could be?? So glade i joined this forum
Old 04-18-2011, 08:58 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

first off, you're not gonna get any help with an attitude like that.

Lets think of the obvious. You are burning oil above 2000rpm. I'm assuming you have the last IDI since its a 94. So that leaves kinda two possibilities. You have a leak internally with your turbo where oil is getting in your intake at high PSI/CFM. Open up your intake and take some boots off your intercooler, is there a film of oil? Secondly how many miles are on the engine? It may just be its a tired engine and your piston rings are shot. What maintenance has been performed on the cooling system? How much blowby does the truck have?
Old 04-18-2011, 09:28 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

mines a 7.3 powerstroke not an idi. I got the banks quick turbo and intercooler kit installed. its a 94.5. what your describing doesn't really make sense because it only does it at a certain rpm. if it was burning oil wouldn't it do it all the time? The motor has 261k which i heard isn't bad for a diesel. i've read something about the ebpv being stuck closed which could cause the lack of power.
Old 04-18-2011, 09:30 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

coolant is good and i didn't see any blowby
Old 04-18-2011, 09:48 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

because of the blue smoke i would guess you are getting an incomplete fuel burn, possibly from bad injectors. or a weak HPOP not generating enough pressure to properly inject the fuel. what do you have for gauges? do you have any boost? what is your fuel pressure? is your check engine light on? some more info would be helpful. Give the guys on here some info and some time. usually someone will help you.
Old 04-18-2011, 09:56 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I have an egt and boost gauge. Im not sure what my fuel pressure is. I did change the filter thats on the top of the motor. should i be getting some kind of boost right away. seems like after i put the intercooler and quick turbo on im getting no to low boost until i really get on it which i get around 10 to 11 psi. On the highway at 65 its reading only about 5psi. Thought maybe its because the intercooler lowered the boost. What's the hpop valve. sorry im a noob at these powerstrokes first one ive ever owned. lol
Old 04-18-2011, 09:59 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

sometimes the check engine light will come on but then it goes off usually when i first start it up and start to drive it usually its not on longer then a couple minutes. I took it to a ford dealer to do a diagnostic but they couldn't read the codes on it cause they said it was an older truck and they didn't have the equipment to read it. I do have an appointment with a ford diesel tech on Wednesday that will be able to pull what ever codes are on there but it'll be $90 something dollars.
Old 04-18-2011, 10:00 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

only thing the dealer told me is that it could be something with the pcm
Old 04-18-2011, 10:19 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

1. you should be getting more boost than that ecpecially with an aftermarket turbo. i would check for leaks in your intercooler syslem, but low boost could just be because of other issues.
2. it could be your PCM or you IDM but i wouldnt change either one without ruling out other stuff first.
3. if your check engine light came on it should have stored a code, then you should have a place to start.
4. your HPOP(high pressure oil pump) (simple description) pumps your engine oil up to 3000psi and uses it like hydrolic oil to push the plunger in the injector that brings the fuel up to pressure that is neccisary for proper spray pattern and injection.

Hope this helps
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.