'96 7.3 No Start Help Needed Now - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2011, 02:14 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Unhappy '96 7.3 No Start Help Needed Now

My work truck just died. It started fine but 1/2 mile from home it slowly lost power and quit. The engine was still warm from an earlier trip. A buddy towed it home and I hit the forum. I've had this truck for 13 years and this is the first time that it has let me down.
The truck is stock, has an auto trans and has only 128,000 miles. The batteries are recent and it cranks fine. Fuel tanks and engine oil are full. All fuses including #22 are fine. The CPS seems OK since the tach shows about 200 RPM while cranking. There is no smoke evident while cranking. The wait to start light works as normal. I replaced the fuel filter 6 weeks ago. I just removed the filter and the filter housing was about 1/3 full. I'm not sure if that is normal or not.
Please help,
Charles
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2011, 08:13 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Follow up. I have read hundreds of posts , but since I am not a mechanic by trade I need whatever help I can get. I do not have a working code reader (the one I have apparently crapped out).

I just checked the HPOP reservoir oil level. It only had about 3/4 in. of oil. I filled it, but still no start. I cranked it at 15 second intervals for a couple of minutes but no start and no exhaust smoke. I rechecked the reservoir oil level and it is still full.

Please help, I need the truck for work.

Thanks,
Charles
Old 04-13-2011, 09:36 AM
Calling all Georgians!

Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Wow... I don't know man, here's a free bump for you though. Hopefully someone can figure out what's wrong. Usually, I'd say it's the CPS (since it's the most common problem). Do you have a spare that you can at least try to swap out and see if that's the problem? Maybe fuel pump...
Old 04-13-2011, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasbone View Post
My work truck just died. It started fine but 1/2 mile from home it slowly lost power and quit. The engine was still warm from an earlier trip. A buddy towed it home and I hit the forum. I've had this truck for 13 years and this is the first time that it has let me down.
The truck is stock, has an auto trans and has only 128,000 miles. The batteries are recent and it cranks fine. Fuel tanks and engine oil are full. All fuses including #22 are fine. The CPS seems OK since the tach shows about 200 RPM while cranking. There is no smoke evident while cranking. The wait to start light works as normal. I replaced the fuel filter 6 weeks ago. I just removed the filter and the filter housing was about 1/3 full. I'm not sure if that is normal or not.
Please help,
Charles
My fuel bowl is always full, I would lean towards a fuel issue... Could be lift pump or maybe FPR.
Old 04-15-2011, 05:53 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

High flo oil pump ?
Old 04-15-2011, 05:57 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

HPOP reservoir oil level would explain loss of power/quitting. a bad injector driver module (IDM) would explain it also.
Old 04-20-2011, 07:32 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

^^^^ what he said. it could be the PCM tho...my truck lost its PCM when i threw and edge programmer on it. the dam thing wouldnt start for anything. threw the new PCM on it and it fired the first time and has every time since. see if a local mechanic has a reader. my edge programmer to me what was wrong.
Old 04-28-2011, 08:28 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Make sure all your fuses are good some. On my "96" the fuel heater went to ground in the filter and took out the fuse. It would spin over but no smoke etc. Redid the heater replaced fuse runs as good as new.

F250 Extra cab
Tymar intake & 3" dp
6 position chip
4.11 ration
16.5 around town
Avg 17.5 mpg hgwy @ 70ph
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.