Unusual Powerstroke problem - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2011, 07:50 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Unusual Powerstroke problem

I have a 1997 Powerstroke with 196K miles. End of last winter had two glo plugs, a controller and wiring harness replaced to fix typical cold weather starting problem. Run great for a week but then noticed it was idling a little rough. I drove it two miles noticed it had a dead miss. Cut it off then it wouldn't start. Hauled her to the local reputable service dealer and they said they worked on it for many hours they said and determined it was the high flo oil pump. I had the oil pump changed before probly about 50k ago. I had 1200.00 into it fixing the glo plug problem was told would be another 1300.00to replace the pump I stressed I wanted them to be sure that there was no other problem because I didn't need a surprise costly fix. Well they replaced the pump and it still won't start. Now they say ALL EIGHT injectors are bad and won't buzz. They admit never seeing an high flo pump AND eight injectors go at once. Two local diesel mechanics I have asked say the same. What caused this? What is the problem?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2011, 07:53 PM
Mod Newbie

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by revellsnecker View Post
I have a 1997 Powerstroke with 196K miles. End of last winter had two glo plugs, a controller and wiring harness replaced to fix typical cold weather starting problem. Run great for a week but then noticed it was idling a little rough. I drove it two miles noticed it had a dead miss. Cut it off then it wouldn't start. Hauled her to the local reputable service dealer and they said they worked on it for many hours they said and determined it was the high flo oil pump. I had the oil pump changed before probly about 50k ago. I had 1200.00 into it fixing the glo plug problem was told would be another 1300.00to replace the pump I stressed I wanted them to be sure that there was no other problem because I didn't need a surprise costly fix. Well they replaced the pump and it still won't start. Now they say ALL EIGHT injectors are bad and won't buzz. They admit never seeing an high flo pump AND eight injectors go at once. Two local diesel mechanics I have asked say the same. What caused this? What is the problem?
If injectors won't buzz, I would be thinking about the IDM
Old 04-05-2011, 08:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks I will ask them about this
Old 04-05-2011, 08:04 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

When you shut it down and tried to restart......was it getting fuel? Any sign of smoke out of the tail pipe? I highly doubt the pump and all 8 injectors went at once,
Old 04-05-2011, 08:25 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

When I shut her down I never checked anything myself.I just wanted to let them look at it thinking that it was maybe somthing they did being only a week after I got her back from them.I was floored when they told me about the injectors.I have not found one person who has ever heard of this before or even how it could of happened.Thats whats scary.Even if I do fix it could something "fry" the injectors again?!?!
Old 04-06-2011, 07:07 AM

Honestly, I'd get the truck out of that shop ASAP. Could be as simple as a blown fuse. $1200 to replace 2 glow plugs, a harness, and a GPR is highway robbery.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:13 AM

I agree, I would tell them thanks but no thanks, and get that truck out of there. Once you get it back, let us know what it is not doing and what it is doing, and you can go from there.
Old 04-06-2011, 07:56 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

thanks for the input . My truck is still there.I have asked them not to do anything to it now.The dealership and service dept. have a very good reputation.I do believe honest people make big mistakes sometimes.Its hard for me to understand how a pump and eight injectors go at once.I would want to believe that if they changed the pump that they did a scan test and compression test? Any time you change something and it still won't start its only right that you have doubts that was the problem.On one hand I know they said they could not tell the injectors were bad until they had compression but then on the other hand I'm being told eight injectors just don't go bad at once.I plan to make note of every suggestion and post I get.Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.