no start, seems like no fuel - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2011, 05:22 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
no start, seems like no fuel

First off i have a 97 crew cab 5spd with 290,xxx. i was towing a truck on an 8 hour trip for some guy and i was about half way on the trip and i pulled into the gas staion to get some fuel and came back out and the truck would not crank over, looked underneath and the starter broke off. i took the starter off and taped up the wires so they would not short out and got a pull start from semi, i made it to my destination and put a new starter in it and i was on my way home and the truck started smoking and just died. i have a prgoammer for it so i plugged it in and it gave me a cam sensor code and a icp code. i walked to the closest autozone and got a cam sensor, when i put it in it ran fine for about 50 miles then it did the same thing, got another cam sensor at a napa and it looked different then the other one, put it in and made it about another 50 miles and it did the same thing. i was about 200 miles from home and had to get it towed home. when i got it home i got a cam sensor from international and a icp senor, i put them both in and took it for a test drive, it ran fine until it warmed up, when it warmed up it died, so i waited for it to cool down then made it home and it was running really rough between 1500 and 2500 rpm and at an idle it was cutting out. so i changed the ipr o-rings and i had to take the fuel bowl off and the y pipe off to get to it. i got it all back together and it started up and sounded like crap, it sound liek it was running off 4 cylinders. i let it run for about 2 minutes and then it died, now it will not start at all. it just cranks over and over. it is not throwing any codes at all. i have checked all the fuses and they are all good, i dont know if there is air in the fuel system or what. so any help would be nice!

Last edited by warrenbrunick; 04-04-2011 at 05:32 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2011, 05:43 PM
Premium Member

Wow... Great troubleshooting... Check the under valve cover harness. Are you getting the wait to start light? If not, remove the fuel bowl heater wire and tape it up, check fuse 22 under the hood and replace if blown.
Old 04-05-2011, 07:17 PM

ya, i am getting the WTS light and i have checked all the fuses and they all seem to be good. is it possible that the ipr could be bad, if so is there a way to test it?
Old 04-05-2011, 07:21 PM
Premium Member

You would need something like autoenginuity to test the ipr,icp relationship. Try unplugging the icp sensor to see if it will stay running, it is a free diagnostic step.
Old 04-05-2011, 07:25 PM
Premium Member

Check the connections to the uvch for burnt areas. Also make sure they are seated good. Those clips break and the connector can vibrate loose.
Make sure the tin nut holding the ipr coil is tight and the ipr harness is not shorted out from fuel spills.
Old 04-05-2011, 08:56 PM

I just got done checking all the uvch connections and they all looked clean, all the clips were still good and they were not burnt, i tried un plugging the ICP and still nothing, tomorrow i am going to take it all back apart and make sure i didnt forget something.

Last edited by warrenbrunick; 04-06-2011 at 01:10 AM.
Old 04-07-2011, 02:08 PM

Well i took it all back apart and i didnt see nothing that i forgot, when i put it back together it started right up but still sounded like it was running off 4 cylinders and was shaking really bad, when it started to warm up it sounded better but then it just died and wont start back up. the only error code i can pull up is the cam sensor code. but i have changed that sensor 3 different times and the one in it is brand new from international.
Old 04-09-2011, 01:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Warren,
Did you get your truck fixed. I have the identical problem. It's not fixed yet.
Old 04-09-2011, 05:21 PM
Full A-Team Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
could possibly be the PCM, My buddies truck just recently did the same thing as described, it was the PCM. The only bad part is a fried IDM will do this also. not sure but a bad IPR could do the same also
Old 04-09-2011, 05:42 PM

Had the same thing happen on my 2002. Turned out to be the solnoid on the IPR was bad. For the rough run make sure the nut at the end of the IPR is good and tight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.