97 e350 starts and idles but dies when driving? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2011, 10:28 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
97 e350 starts and idles but dies when driving?

The van starts fine and idles but dies when I start to drive it. Just started after I put fuel in it today.. maybe it has nothing to do with it. Any ideas or possibly point me in the right direction. Anything before I have it put on a flatbed. Thanks for any advice

Got some feedback that might be injection pump. ? Could it be?

Vandalized E350 - shredded paper in fuel tank?

J

Last edited by E350 PSD; 04-10-2011 at 02:50 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2011, 08:43 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Check your fuel pump pressure and fuel filter. Had the same problem, lost power going up hills and blew white smoke periodically. Replaced pump (it hardly had any output) and installed external fuel filter from IDP Baldwin 1212 on rail
Old 04-05-2011, 08:55 AM
HardLuck Case of the Year

Send a message via AIM to Ditty Send a message via Yahoo to Ditty
Check your oil. The truck will idle but will shut off if the oil level is too low.
Old 04-05-2011, 10:46 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the input. Oil level is fine I did check that, haven't had time to check fuel filter yet which I've been meaning to. You replaced your reg fuel pump right, not your HPOP?

Its been running fine since that posting couple weeks ago but now after starting and idling a bit it bogs out and dies. So its time to remove the doghouse and Kill the knees.
Old 04-05-2011, 06:52 PM
Premium Member

Unplug the icp and see if it will stay running. Had a guy the other day, broke down on the side of the road so I stoped to lend a fellow powerstroke a hand. His truck would start and idle, when he put it in gear and moved about 5 feet it would die like it was not getting any fuel. Unplugged his ICP and off he went to get a new ICP sensor.
Old 04-07-2011, 06:52 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Well I was told by previous owner that the fuel filter was just changed. Couple months ago. She was pretty damn dirty for 2 months. Changed it and been ok as of now.
Old 04-07-2011, 05:59 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Definitely something else... coming home on the highway today she started sputtering out (of ALL places huh) until it died. I did try unplugging the icp sensor (which the van was off for a bit) got to drive it a good amount of miles then started doing it again. All the way home kept dieing, so I would sit for a bit, then turn it back on and go for a few miles then die... over and over.

I have enough fuel in the tank I know that. I'm assuming if it was the icp and I unplugged it then it would run until I shut the van off?

Sound like a specific cause? or could be multiple things?

Thanks for the help...
J
Old 04-08-2011, 05:55 AM
Premium Member

The icp will just send a default to the pcm to control the ipr. I don't remember what the pressure is but it will get it running for you. You have to replace it if you are going to keep driving it. I am sure it was not meant to be driven around without the icp plugged in.

You could also check the fuel pressure regulator screen for some gunk since the filters were so dirty..

Check the wiring harness that goes to the icp and the harness that goes to the ipr for chaffing and such.
Old 04-08-2011, 08:50 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Talked to the shop that the previous owner had some work done at and they did change the fuel filter then. About month, month and half ago. When I pulled it this week boy... she was dirty. Hmmm.. damn don't really want to start pulling the tank and everything.
Old 06-03-2011, 11:11 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

well may i ask what you found wrong im going through same thing now with my f350 done changed fuel pump cleaned the screen and put new icp sensor in so what nextim at a stop oh yea oil is full just changed it about 1000 miles ago the icp was real wet and oily on the inside
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.