difference in timing covers? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2011, 02:29 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
difference in timing covers?

I have a 96 F250 PSD that had a cracked timing cover, i bought one from someone that was off of an E series 7.3L. My truck ran fine even with the cracked timing cover before we changed it, after putting this new timing cover on we noticed the pickup tube was on the other side of the cover so we went back and got the pickup tube off of the same motor that the timing cover came off of. Ever since we put the motor back in the truck and ran it for about 100 miles or so it lost prime and i had to prime it everytime i started it, then it got so bad that i lost horsepower and it didnt even want to run. there were air bubbles in my oil so we thought maybe we didnt seal it good enough and put brand new gaskets on everything (timing cover, pickup tube etc). we tried to fire the motor on the ground and took the pump off of the front of the timing cover and there was NO oil in it. i was told that E series covers differ from F series covers, i went and got a cover off of a 99 Fseries and the pickup is on the same side as the E series, the location of the pickup tube is the only difference i can see, Is there a difference? And if so, what is it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2011, 02:49 PM
Rangers Lead The Way!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Im not 100% following what you are saying here. you mean the front cover of the motor? what the hpop bolts to and has the gears in it?
Old 03-13-2011, 11:11 AM

the timing cover, yes the hpop sits on top of it and the water pump bolts to the front of it. on my 96 truck the oil pickup tube bolted to the pass side of the motor and the timing cover i got off of a 97 Eseries van the pickup was on the drivers side of the cover. i ended up taking a cover off of a 99 Fseries motor and it was on the drivers side as well, my question is: what was the difference in the timing covers and does anyone know what trucks had what cover? was it a year difference or Fseries was different than an Eseries etc... (i did find the problem with my truck tho, the pickup tube was cracked, it wasnt the timing cover) and i know they dont differ from Fseries to Eseries because the one came from a truck and the other from a van and they were the same....
Old 03-13-2011, 03:56 PM
Electrical Ogre

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
In 1997 the timing cover, oil pickup and pan were all revised. Make sure all parts are for the same year and you should be good. Parts should be the same for both the F and E series.
Old 03-13-2011, 04:24 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by alberta 7.3 View Post
In 1997 the timing cover, oil pickup and pan were all revised. Make sure all parts are for the same year and you should be good. Parts should be the same for both the F and E series.
That's good info to keep in the back of my head. I would have had the parts guy look and check for me first. I do that for most of my used parts swapping.
Old 03-13-2011, 04:36 PM
Electrical Ogre

Old 03-14-2011, 03:04 PM

thanks alot now my other question is, my 96 we put a 97 cover with a 99 pickup tube on it since they are they same style and obvioulsy bolt up, will that work? and your saying that the gear for the pump on the inlet port HAS to be off of a newer truck since im using a newer style timing cover?
Old 03-14-2011, 03:06 PM

i think we put the gears out of my 96 back on but the truck runs and drives... will it eventually loose prime and not run?
Old 03-14-2011, 04:42 PM
Electrical Ogre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordchik89 View Post
thanks alot now my other question is, my 96 we put a 97 cover with a 99 pickup tube on it since they are they same style and obvioulsy bolt up, will that work? and your saying that the gear for the pump on the inlet port HAS to be off of a newer truck since im using a newer style timing cover?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordchik89 View Post
i think we put the gears out of my 96 back on but the truck runs and drives... will it eventually loose prime and not run?
You should be fine with the 97 cover/99 pickup tube. The pump was unchanged, so any year of pump will work. As you mentioned the reason the oil supply was lost was due to the cracked oil pickup tube.
Old 03-15-2011, 01:45 PM

ok thanks a bunch! yeah i just was curious about when and why they changed the timing cover so i knew for further reference!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.