Oil Leak info. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2011, 10:54 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Oil Leak info.

Ok folks, here we go again. No longer than 72 hours ago I had great success with fixing a pretty good fuel leak which turned out to be the lift pump.

Now, that I dont have fuel messing everything up, I now have an oil leak. TaDa!!! What are some of the common places for these oil leaks? I know the HPOP...but thats about it other than the drain bolt on oil pan.

As a secondary, I am still getting not that great of fuel mileage (ie. 9-10mpg) just country driving. It is quite seriously starting to piss me of since I fixed what I thought was causing the poor MPG. I know there are some fools on here who think that driving around with that kind of fuel mileage is what your supposed to have....so you folks do not respond with that kind of crap. If anyone has a idea of why there could be excessive fuel consumption I would love to hear it. BTW...the truck is a 1997 cclb f-350. Ive had it about 3 weeks....so you can understand my disdain. One problem to fix, is not critical...but now 3 is testing my patience.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2011, 10:56 AM

I suppose adding where the leak is manifesting itself would be helpful. It looks like it is draining down the passenger side of oil pain with some nastyness all over underneath from spray. But it is drip drip driping off the oilpan on the passenger side with what looks like just being straight covered with oil on that side.
Old 02-01-2011, 10:59 AM

Is there any oil in the valley at all? The flange where the dipstick goes into the pan is a common leak, but not sure it would coat the entire side of the pan with oil like you describe.
10mpg is piss poor. I'm getting 14 right now and not happy about that! Have you changed the fuel filter and/or cleaned the regulator? How many miles on the truck, and is it modified at all?
Old 02-01-2011, 11:11 AM

Ok. There are no modifications on it at all. 251k miles. I have put 2 new fuel filters on it, last one being with the lift pump changeout on saturday. Also, now that lift pump is brand new, there is nothing in the valley. I cleaned it out beautifully in case any leaks developed so I could see from where. Also the FPR screen was cleaned very well while putting in the lift pump since I i had no choice but to remove that to be able to pull the fuel bowl out of the way for easy access to valley.

I agree about the mpg being poor....but I had someone argue with me, that because he was getting 5mpg...I should be lucky to be getting 9. That genius relentlessly posted in my last question about the fuel leak. Geez!

Ill check the dipstick area, but im not to sure if that is it. Im hoping it is something simple. The truck runs amazing, plenty of power, no smoke. Just low MPG and now an oil leak!
Old 02-01-2011, 11:12 AM
Illiana Chapter Director

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I think 9-10 is normal.

JK, had to do ithehe:
Old 02-01-2011, 01:46 PM

dhanna! I started shaking my head in disbelief as soon as I saw that! But then I scrolled down. haha. I figured I would get a lot of ribbing. I probably shouldnt have said anything. Good one.
Old 02-01-2011, 02:08 PM

251k miles on OEM injectors (assuming they haven't been replaced) could be part of the reason you have poor mpg. There could be a lot of wear in them causing them to be less efficient than they should be. Might not hurt to have them checked out, or to swap them if funds permit.
As for the oil leak... if there is no oil in the valley there aren't many places it can leak from on the passenger side other than the valve cover and the dipstick flange.
Old 02-01-2011, 02:39 PM

Alright then SD. Sounds like it might be the dipstick flange. I appreciate everyones response. Yeah, I am saving up to rebuild my injectors, or at least get some new ones. Looks like Pensacola Diesel is gonna have the best deal for stock ones. I really have no desire for too much more HP than I have now, so stock injectors it will be.
Old 02-01-2011, 03:19 PM

I have 255k on what I believe are the original injectors. I can easily (if I keep my lead toe boot off of it) 18mpg with mine, 20 if I avoid stoplights and stopping altogether.
Old 02-01-2011, 06:13 PM

I have the oil cooler leaking on the driver's side on mine,not to bad yet.Oil residue on fender splash shield and lower crossmember.I reading this is common due to cold weather
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.