97 PSD, won't start - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2011, 02:25 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
97 PSD, won't start

I have a 97 F250, the other day I fired it up in the morning, went in the house, and when I came back out it was stalled. Up until now there were no issues, plenty power, never stalled, never ran rough; only thing I ever noticed was a 8 mpg loss.

I changed the fuel filter and added Diesel 911, that didn't fix it. So I changed the CPS, and that didn't help either.

The engine does turn over. When I crank it over, the tach twitches but really doesn't move. The other day it was registering a couple hundred rpms, but now nothing. I have been reading other posts and the tach question seems to come up a lot, I don't know what it means.

The oil pressure gauge registers sometimes, but it may take a couple times of cranking before it shoots up to "normal". Also I don't know if the gauge reads pressure from the HPOP or the pan.

I really don't know much about diesels yet, so I was hoping someone might be able to give me some direction. Thanks.

Last edited by klm89gh34; 01-30-2011 at 08:20 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2011, 02:57 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
You're going to need to hook up a scan tool to monitor stuff and check for codes. The oil pressure gauge on the dash is for the low pressure oil and the sensor is located in the HPOP reservoir, you can monitor HPOP pressure with a scan tool. If you suspect lack of high pressure oil, check the reservoir to see if it is full and check the IPR to see if the coil has come loose.
Old 01-29-2011, 03:08 PM

I was on my way to get a scanner right now. I really don't know what to suspect. As for the coil on the IPR, I see only one set of wires going to it and that connection is good. I read about a nut coming loose in other posts, but I am not sure which one they are talking about.

How do you check the resevoir level? Also, what would make the resevoir go low?

Last edited by klm89gh34; 01-29-2011 at 03:17 PM.
Old 01-30-2011, 08:19 AM

Just scanned my vehicle...no codes.
Old 01-30-2011, 08:36 AM
Shaking the Bush Boss

theres a tin nut on the IPR valve, that will work itself loose.
On the top of the HPOP resivor, drivers side, theres a plug... IIRC, its an allen plug.
When the trucks cranking over are you getting any smoke from the exhaust?
Old 01-30-2011, 05:32 PM

Check bus fuse under the hood #22 if that's blown then your heating element in the fuel filter is probably blow grounding out. It's a place to start anyway, generally your gauges will not move when turning over if this fuse is blown but it's an easy thing to rule out.
Old 01-30-2011, 05:47 PM

Thanks bfr44, but I have already checked all fuses, including #22. I haven't had a chance to check the tin IPR nut though. The gauges do move when I turn the key over, my only concern was that the tach does not move as much as when the problem first started. This may have been due to a weakened battery from so many attempts, I plan on recharging and rechecking the tach reading to make sure it is a symptom of my problem. I will post the results asap, to clear up any misjudgments on my part.
Old 01-31-2011, 11:12 AM

I checked the IPR nut and it was tight, but the connector on the IPR just above the nut was loose; not the connection itself, but the connector appears to be mounted on a piece of metal that is attached to the IPR cylinder...this is loose and I am not sure if it should be.

My batteries were not as charged as I thought they were, so they're sitting on a charger now.

I haven't had the chance to check the HPOP reservoir level or the fuel pressure yet.

Also, Chuck, I'm not sure what IIRC is but I did locate the plug, thanks.
Old 01-31-2011, 08:35 PM

The HPOP resevoir is full.

Fuel squirts from the fuel pressure test port, however I was unable to locate a fuel pressure tester to get any numbers.

No smoke from the exhaust.

Anyone know if there should be play in the IPR wiring like I mentioned?

Turns over great, but doesn't even try to fire.
Old 01-31-2011, 08:54 PM
Shaking the Bush Boss

the connector is on the solinoid of the IPR valve. The rod moves in and out, depending on demand, The solinoid reads the position of the rod, and sends the signal to the ecu. It shouldnt be loose enough to flop around, but there will be movement.
No smoke from exhaust, your not getting any fuel through the injectors.

Have you looked at the valve cover harnesses? unplug them, and look to see if the terminals look burnt. Two, 4 pin harnesses per head. 2 of the terminals are for the GP, 2 for the injectors.

I havent seen all the harnesses be bad at the same time....have seen a cple bad IDMs. Without a scan tool that can do self diagnostics (buzz test the injectors), anyway to swap the IDM with a known good one? Their pricey, so I wouldnt advise buying one just to eleminate it from the problem.

IIRC... If I Recall Correctly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.