Pushrod Rocker question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2011, 12:08 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Pushrod Rocker question

Hi all,

Well I took off the drivers side valve cover and noticed that the pushrod/rocker on the right side of one of the Injectors were not mated. The rod had moved to the left and the rocker was to the right. I can push the rod back under the rocker however the entire assembly appears to have to much freedom.

What do you think ? Can the Rocker be adjusted or do I have a lifter that is not pressurized with oil since its been parked for a couple of weeks ?

Look forward to your comments/help.

1996 PSD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2011, 05:43 AM
Illiana Chapter Director

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Does the engine have a miss? I've seen rocker arms crack and then the pushrod can come out from under it.
Old 01-23-2011, 09:00 AM

Smile You win!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanna6powerstroke View Post
Does the engine have a miss? I've seen rocker arms crack and then the pushrod can come out from under it.
Yes, The truck had a miss which I thought was related to a possible injector issue.

So if the rocker is cracked it can cause same symptoms ?

How much side to side movement does a rocker arm assembly suppose to allow ?

I just found a photo / description that shows a better image of the rocker arm assembly. They say it is mounted on pedestals and pivot on steel balls. A spring steel clip holds the assembly together.

I guess I should remove it to inspect it for damage ?

Thanks for the thoughts / ideas. Keep them coming please.

Eric
Old 01-23-2011, 09:02 AM
Illiana Chapter Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by planoguy View Post
Yes, The truck had a miss which I thought was related to a possible injector issue.

So if the rocker is cracked it can cause same symptoms ?

How much side to side movement does a rocker arm assembly suppose to allow ?

I just found a photo / description that shows a better image of the rocker arm assembly. They say it is mounted on pedestals and pivot on steel balls. A spring steel clip holds the assembly together.

I guess I should remove it to inspect it for damage ?

Thanks for the thoughts / ideas. Keep them coming please.

Eric
The rocker usually cracks at the bottom just behind where the push rod sits. It will cause a miss because the rocker can't open the valves properly. If that is your problem, you can replace the affected rocker(s) and pushrods and be ok.
Old 01-23-2011, 10:38 AM

Question Hope we are correct

What kind of socket is required for those rocker arms ? I thought I knew but want to be certain.
Old 01-24-2011, 11:57 AM

I finally figured it out on my own.

I've just never had any experience with those 12 pt bolts before. So I was able to use a 8mm 12pt boxed end wrench to remove the assembly.

Now to re-install it I need an 8mm 12pt socket so that I could use a torgue wrench it. Well they don't make one.

So I found those spline sockets and I was wondering about and those are cool because they do sae or metric or 12 pt or rounded off bolts too. I purchased a set at A zone and they appear to lock well and will be good for re-installation.

Now I'm figuring out the best place to get the Rocker Arm or the complete assembly and Pushrods.

The Rocker Arm was clearly broken where the ball seats.

Eric
Old 01-24-2011, 12:02 PM
Illiana Chapter Director

Quote:
I finally figured it out on my own.

I've just never had any experience with those 12 pt bolts before. So I was able to use a 8mm 12pt boxed end wrench to remove the assembly.

Now to re-install it I need an 8mm 12pt socket so that I could use a torgue wrench it. Well they don't make one.

So I found those spline sockets and I was wondering about and those are cool because they do sae or metric or 12 pt or rounded off bolts too. I purchased a set at A zone and they appear to lock well and will be good for re-installation.

Now I'm figuring out the best place to get the Rocker Arm or the complete assembly and Pushrods.

The Rocker Arm was clearly broken where the ball seats.

Eric
Just go to Ford and get stock replacements. Probably won't happen again. Was it on one of the back cylinders?
Old 01-24-2011, 12:08 PM
International Threat

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
You pay the shipping... I can send you a rocker arm.

They do make 12pt 8mm sockets. And I think it's 18ft/lbs... but good n tight does the trick. Just make sure the bolt hole is CLEAN and dry... brakleen + air pressure.

I have several sets and pushrods if needed.
Old 02-01-2011, 03:27 PM

Smile

Ok So I got those new rocker arms and rods from ford and I got the old ones off the Drivers side. I knew I had one bad but now I know I had 2. One had failed and hence the Rod was no longer under the Rocker and the second one was about to join it but just not yet. It was loose. So got the engine clocked to 11 as all said and put the new stuff in and all is well. The Miss is Gone.

Next week I will recheck the torque values and may go ahead and do the passenger side as well.

The failure point was where the Rocker sits on the Ball. The inbound side that covers the ball let go. I wonder if it was just too thinly made or if there was too much friction between the Rocker and the pendlestal ?
Old 02-01-2011, 03:33 PM
Illiana Chapter Director

Quote:
Ok So I got those new rocker arms and rods from ford and I got the old ones off the Drivers side. I knew I had one bad but now I know I had 2. One had failed and hence the Rod was no longer under the Rocker and the second one was about to join it but just not yet. It was loose. So got the engine clocked to 11 as all said and put the new stuff in and all is well. The Miss is Gone.

Next week I will recheck the torque values and may go ahead and do the passenger side as well.

The failure point was where the Rocker sits on the Ball. The inbound side that covers the ball let go. I wonder if it was just too thinly made or if there was too much friction between the Rocker and the pendlestal ?
Is it a manual trans.?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
push rod, rockers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.