Banks Problem.. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2011, 07:56 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Banks Problem..

Hey all Im looking to buy an OBS PS and found one on craigslist.. he says it ran great and one day just wouldn't start. Now he knows there is a Banks system on there but doesn't know which one it is. He said it was on there when he bought it and as it sits now there is between 100k - 150k on it said the tranny and engine ran perfect before this happened. I don't have to much experience with powerstroke much less the Banks systems and no one i know really does so i am on here looking to see the common issues with them and just wondering if i can get a little help from anyone on here. He is only asking $1000 so its a great deal as it sits but just want to know what kind of work im looking at. I am pretty mechanically inclined (mostly gassers) but i can do most anything. Any help is much appreciated and i will be looking around. Thank you in advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2011, 08:20 PM

Sounds to me like the CPS (Cam Position Sensor) went out. This is a common problem with these trucks. Watch the tach when you crank it over, if it doesn't move, the CPS is bad. It is very easy to replace and costs ~$20.
For $1000 it sounds like it is definitely worth picking up.
Old 01-19-2011, 11:11 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezz2006 View Post
Sounds to me like the CPS (Cam Position Sensor) went out. This is a common problem with these trucks. Watch the tach when you crank it over, if it doesn't move, the CPS is bad. It is very easy to replace and costs ~$20.
For $1000 it sounds like it is definitely worth picking up.
thats exactly what i was thinking also.. my brother had this happen to his 6.0 and it came to us when we were talking about it.. and yea i was going to buy it unless there is a giant hole in the motor haha.. should be a great project to get up and running and then have a nice obs with less than 150k on it for $1000 and a few hours of work.. interior seems good as well and he says there is little rust on it.. mostly around the running boards but only small spots. I will give you updates when i go to look at it friday and anybody else have possible problems that it could be please chime in thank you!

Edit: here is the few pictures of it

Last edited by 0redline6; 01-19-2011 at 11:14 AM. Reason: added picture
Old 01-19-2011, 05:11 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

If its an earlier one like 1995,the hpop are prone to drain down creating the no start,won't fire the injectors
Old 01-19-2011, 07:02 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chop View Post
If its an earlier one like 1995,the hpop are prone to drain down creating the no start,won't fire the injectors
whats involved in reversing that? replace gasket? clean out the hpop? or is that a total replacement?
Old 01-19-2011, 07:16 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chop View Post
no no that just if you have a hpop for a 96 + on the truck withough modding it.

it might be the cab sensor. thats easy.

but also could be the heater in the fuel bowl, pcm, blown fuse. does it crank, not crank, no lights on the dash, "wait to start light"? no power at all? these are things to look for and then post here. a battery cable can bust/some how come off. ive seen it all

one way or another, buy the truck. but post up some info on it
Old 01-19-2011, 07:51 PM
Electrical Ogre

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Another possibility is the IPR (Injection Pressure Regulator) has failed. My truck had the IPR spontaneously fail, resulting in needing to be towed home. Try the CPS first, they are cheaper and easier to replace.

Try to find somebody with a good code reader and try to see if there are any trouble codes. DTCs will point you in the direction of the issue. I'd hate to see you throw a fortune of parts at it in a hit-and-miss effort to get it running.
Old 01-19-2011, 08:48 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

thanks guy i appreciate all the help.. friday i am going to look at it and like i said as long as there is no hole in the motor im going to buy it worth over $1000 in parts but i really wanted to get into an obs so i will try whatever i can to get that thing up and running.. its been sitting so ill have to change the fluids but how about the diesel? I don't know how much is in the tank yet but does diesel separate or just become crap? is there an additive that you can add to it with fresh diesel? just curious because thats one thing less i would have to do though im already going to replace all the filters already so draining the tank should be to much of a hassel again thank you guys!
Old 01-19-2011, 08:51 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by storkerlovr View Post
no no that just if you have a hpop for a 96 + on the truck withough modding it.

it might be the cab sensor. thats easy.

but also could be the heater in the fuel bowl, pcm, blown fuse. does it crank, not crank, no lights on the dash, "wait to start light"? no power at all? these are things to look for and then post here. a battery cable can bust/some how come off. ive seen it all

one way or another, buy the truck. but post up some info on it
i deff will let you know everything im sure the batterys are shot though im in south east georgia so it doesnt get horribly cold for long periods of time here so i might get lucky.. we are going to go and check it out jump it try to crank it just look at it overall and then throw it on a trailer and take it home then really dig into it so ill have a much better idea then
Old 01-20-2011, 02:00 PM
Serving Our Country!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0redline6 View Post
thats exactly what i was thinking also.. my brother had this happen to his 6.0 and it came to us when we were talking about it.. and yea i was going to buy it unless there is a giant hole in the motor haha.. should be a great project to get up and running and then have a nice obs with less than 150k on it for $1000 and a few hours of work.. interior seems good as well and he says there is little rust on it.. mostly around the running boards but only small spots. I will give you updates when i go to look at it friday and anybody else have possible problems that it could be please chime in thank you!

Edit: here is the few pictures of it

If u buy the truck and u want to sell the lower valence with the foglights i would be intrested in that for my truck.
Let me know. PM me if u wanna sell.

Last edited by HotZone; 01-20-2011 at 02:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.