7.3 block heater - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2011, 11:55 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
7.3 block heater

what do u have to do to replace the block heater on a 7.3. is it a hard job to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2011, 01:21 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Na, it's pretty simple.

It's right next to the oil filter, just unplug it and take it out with a big socket.

I was just in there doing my oil cooler which was a PITA, probably easier with the truck on a lift but my father-in-law didn't think I'd need the one that the previous owner had in my shop before I moved in

The block heater is a pretty simple device though (think little electric charcoal starter), is yours leaking? I don't see how one could go bad but I could be wrong....

Good luck,
Old 01-25-2011, 02:33 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

it duse not seam to keep the truck worm at all
Old 02-07-2011, 06:43 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Pull the cord off the heater and take a volt meter and check to see if you are getting 110v. I did this with mine and was only getting 50v. I replaced the plug and it works fine. If I remember right doesn't the heater sit in antifreeze ? It's been a looonnnnggggg time since I replaced mine and don't remember.
Old 05-13-2011, 05:33 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

ya when i did mine i did my oil cooler as well..drain ur coolant and i think it was an inch and one quarter i could be wrong but u take the heater right out. i replaced my cord and heater. i replaced an end on it before and i said screw it i was gonna do it all cuz my meter said it was just my heater and i got a heater on ebay for 50 bucks brand new heavy duty with a cord so i replaced it all. what a differents i had heat on the way to work
Old 05-13-2011, 06:47 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Yup, as usual, test before replacing. Another test - Check resistance at the "wall" plug up front. Normally it's 14-ish ohms. Then unplug it at the heater as Pete suggests, and check the resistance at the heater itself. It should be about the same. If you get 14-ish ohms at the heater, but more at the plug up front, then the cord is bad. The cord is generic; I've seen listings for it on NAPA's web site.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.