leak help needed - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2011, 02:19 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exclamation leak help needed

First off, thanks admins for the fast activation.

Let me start by saying that I am new to diesels let alone powerstrokes. I have had mostly cars, specifically sports cars. I have a 95 psd and I have 2 leaks, fuel and oil.

Oil:
with the truck running it is dripping off the driver side of the engine, and I can see a little of it coming down the side of the engine and down the oil filter.

Fuel:
I was told that it was either a low pressure fuel line/return line or a valve. I can see the fuel puddled up on the top of the motor and it ends up dripping down the motor and off the front of the trans. if it is the valve I will need to know where it is and would like to have some pics please.

I have looked but haven't found too much info anywhere, and I am in a bit of a pickle as it is my daily now. thanks in advance for the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2011, 03:10 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

First off, welcome to the ORG...I'm not sure I can be much help with your leak problems but i'm sure others will chime in to help you out, the guys on here are pretty good about it, pictures never hurt either...best thing to do to start narrowing the problems down is to pressure wash everything and see where it starts gettin wet first...
Old 01-11-2011, 03:23 PM

Yea, I really want to pressure wash it, but I'm sittin in 4 inches of snow, and temps are only gettin worse. I just really hope it is gonna be an easy and cheap fix, I love the truck and have been tryin to get my hands on one for a while now.
Old 01-11-2011, 03:25 PM
Premium Member

Do like JD said... Clean it all up then look at it. Most common oil leak on the driver's side is the oil cooler. It is under the exhaust manifold and runs from the oil filter to the front of the motor. It is round and has 4 big orings and 2 metal gaskets.

Fuel... Look behind the fuel bowl and you will see three hoses. Any of those could be leaking, check the sensors on the bowl. Especially the one in the back. They are all prone to leaking. Common leak area on the sensors is where the metal meets the plastic part of the sensor. Also check to make sure the fuel drain is fully closed.
Old 01-11-2011, 03:47 PM

Thanks man, that sounds about where my oil is coming from, I will have to get to lookin at it early in the mornin, I just gotta get used to the turbo diesel setup, I'm used to little 4 banger cars. but the one I have had for 2 1/2 years has become a money pit and I wanted a dependable vehicle and I have always liked the f-body trucks. and thanks again for the quick posts and help. So far this forum has been much more of a help than the last ones I have dealt with for cars. Thus far, no flaming or insulting...so far lol
Old 01-12-2011, 08:56 AM

ok, so I think I found the oil leak, i believe its where the oil cooler mounts to the front cover, please let me know what you think. I need to get this fixed, the leak is pretty steady when I drive it, but slow at idle.

again, I really need help ASAP, cause I am trying to get this up and running so I can get back to work.
Old 01-12-2011, 10:25 AM
Premium Member

That is it... Get all four orings and both gaskets.
Old 01-12-2011, 01:25 PM

Thanks man, I went down today and got both gaskets and all 4 o-rings(I think they are the culprit) and I'm gonna get up early tomorrow and knock them out. I will worry about the fuel later, I can afford payin for fuel, but now for another motor.

I will try and get some pics on the fuel leak, though that will be a little less visible of a leak.

You guys are the best. Thanks for all the quick help and everyone on here deserves a big
Old 01-12-2011, 02:27 PM

Also, anybody got any tips on the fastest way to take it off/apart. and do I need to use any RTV on either of the gaskets. In the past all of the gaskets other than the head gasket, I was instructed to use RTV on.
Old 01-16-2011, 01:23 PM

Ok, so the I got the oil leak fixed, but its still leaking fuel. I believe I have located th leak. At first I thought it was the sensor on the lower back side of fuel bowl, but after further inspection I realized/located the leak coming from the component behind the bowl. I believe it is the fuel pump. Its leaking just in front of the passenger side bolt that holds it down.

Does this sounds like the pump is going bad or just the seal on the engine is bad?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.