obs psd oil consumption. Where to start? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2011, 11:07 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
obs psd oil consumption. Where to start?

truck was 221k on it. supposed to have been rebuilt, not sure how long ago. It wont start when its warm or cold unless you have starting fluid. When it was cold and I fired it, I could see a steady cloud of greyish/blueish smoke coming from the exhaust. once it warmed up it went away. the complaint is that the truck uses like a gallon and a half of oil in 10 miles and the starting problem. checked the glow pluy relay and it is staying on for about 35-40 seconds. Im leaning towards the o-rings on the ipr sensor for the starting issue. as far as the oil consumption... possibly the turbo? Have not pulled the intake to see if its full of oil. there is no oil in the exhaust. Could bad o-rings on the injectors cause excessive oil consumption? Trying to find the problem tonight so it can be addressed tomorrow since these are my two days off work. Thanks for any help guys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2011, 11:16 AM
Rangers Lead The Way!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Wow that thing is drinking oil. Injector O-rings wont leak oil down as the cylinder pressure is higher than oil pressure so actually you end up with fuel in the oil.

Just cause the relay is coming on doesnt mean the glow plugs are actually good. id Ohms test them.

Is the valley of the motor dry? this oil has to be going somewhere
Old 01-03-2011, 11:24 AM

valley is full of diesel... has a small fuel leak but I cant tell that theres any oil mixed with it. Theres no oil puddles under the truck when left running. The owner isnt really worried about the fuel leak when you compare it to the major oil loss.if I am not mistaken, its about a gallon and a half in 25 miles, not 10. Either way its still alot. Im wondering if the injector o-rings are bad cause when it sits for a little while it takes forever and a can of ether to start it. is it possible that the oil is leaking down from the heads and the engine has to "build" oil pressure back up for the injectors to fire?
Old 01-03-2011, 12:04 PM
Rangers Lead The Way!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
wow the oil has to be doing somewhere, Its not staying in the motor obviously. How is the hpop level when it sits?
Old 01-03-2011, 12:56 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

First thing to look at is fuel in the filter housing if it is blue or black your Injector o rings are shot The oil pressure is much higher than the fuel pressure so the oil will mix with the fuel and end up in your tank and you will burn the oil with the fuel and not even know.

Check your turbo pull the intake off and try and get the exhaust down pipe off grab both sides of the turbo and see if it moves up or down then try in and out there should be almost no play and if a seal is leaking on the turbo you will now be able to see it better.

I just finished changing a turbo on a 97 that was eating oil just like yours changed Injector o rings still was eating oil, ended up being the turbo seal on the intake side couldn't tell until I took the turbo off and tore it apart on the bench to find oil all behind the compressor wheel.

Good luck hope you find your problem.
Old 01-04-2011, 07:50 AM

have not checked hpop level yet, pulled fuel canister lid off and the fuel does have a blue tint to it. Talked to the owner and he said when the engine was "rebuilt" the injectors were not pulled from the heads. It just had rings installed I guess. truck has 221k on it. Ill try to get some pics up of the fuel color for some opinions. Thanks guys.
Old 01-04-2011, 08:32 AM

Hpop resovoir is full, turbo seems to have no play whatsover up/down or side to side.

What do you guys think?
Old 01-04-2011, 09:18 AM

My truck was using a gallon every 40 miles and there was no oil in the fuel or anything.When I pulled the injector out I had one destroyed oil o-ring and two destroyed fuel o-rings.I replaced one injector to be safe and new o-rings ,valve cover gaskets,glow plugs and harnesses and now starts and runs like new.Now hopefully I can get another 200k.
Old 01-04-2011, 09:46 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by strokin95style View Post
Hpop resovoir is full, turbo seems to have no play whatsover up/down or side to side.

What do you guys think?
Looks like oil in your fuel to me I would say it is time for some injector o rings.
Old 01-04-2011, 11:30 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
The o-rings have a set life on them for 125K so it wouldn't hurt to do them anyways. Is their oil in the coolant? Also the Oil coolers will piss oil out when its running as well. You also have head plugs on the top of the heads the HPOP oil flows threw they are a common leak area. But waljon is right their apears to be oil in your fuel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.