voltage fluctuation on cold startup - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2011, 10:40 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
voltage fluctuation on cold startup

So after colder nights in arizona, when I start my truck up the voltage on the battery gauge fluctuates. I can watch it build back up to full power after it has started the truck, then it fluctuates about 1/4" back and forth for about 30 seconds then runs fine. When the voltage is fluctuating, you can hear it also in the way it idles, and even see a teeny bit of idle fluctuation as well. It doesnt fluctuate really fast, but maybe a couple times a second, at the fastest, and its rythmic on how it fluctuates. It does NOT do this after a warm night, so Im thinking it may have something to do with a GPR cycling on and off, but the wait to start light doesnt come on after it has origionally gone off. It also seems to do it longer the colder it has been.

This problem sound familiar to anyone? It getting really annoying and would like to get it fixed. Im sure my neighbors would like it as well, cause it loud as my truck is, and as early as I leave, Im sure a nice smooth idle on startup would be less annoying haha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2011, 02:10 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Thats all it is. the glow plugs stay running after the engine is running to help clear out some smoke and assist the engine when warming up to stay running. Diesel Engines require heat to ignight the fuel in the cyl.

You see this Gauge movement in all obs trucks. And the light does not come on after the engine is running. If it does, something is wrong.

But if you hear the clicking and is loud, could be the relay is going out since i didnt hear mine but saw the gauge move.

My 97 obs didnt flux but our 88 idi did.
Old 01-04-2011, 04:42 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Sounds like the glow plugs turning on which is normal. What isn't normal is the flickering, they should come on and stay on until the computer shuts them off. My guess is your relay is going bad and causing an intermittent connection during it's normal cycle.
Old 01-05-2011, 06:13 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

If the volt gauge goes down then comes up after 1-2 minutes thats normal glow plug operation. What you are describing though sounds like what my truck did when the glow plugs were bad. I'd ohm test the glow plugs to see if yours are ok or not.
Old 01-11-2011, 09:16 AM

Thanks for the replys guys. I havent been able to get on for a while.

I dont think it can be my glow plugs as I just replaced them a year ago, and with being in Phoenix, they dont get much use. I also DONT have to cycle the key several times to get it to start on a cold morning, just once time and it starts. When the glow plugs were bad I would have to cycle the key several times before it would start. Ill look around for a GPR and swap that out cause thats what it looks like is going bad.
Old 01-11-2011, 02:47 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
get a stancore relay
Old 01-13-2011, 02:08 PM

who sells those? been looking and havent seen that brand, but wasnt looking for it specifically.
Old 01-13-2011, 02:12 PM
aussie=effie

voltage fluctuation

check batteries connex clean and tight before spending $$
Old 01-13-2011, 05:44 PM

Agree with JarrodB, get a stancore (White-Rodgers) relay, don't waste your $$ on the NAPA, here is a picture of mine that was about a year old, the spots that look like it's 'toasted' is actually some type of grease or ? that for some reason was put in when made. I got mine at onlinecomponents.com, $45.11,someone here said that is where he got his.
Attached Thumbnails
voltage fluctuation on cold startup-gpr-napa.jpg  
Old 01-15-2011, 09:54 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

i dont have that brand but i bought mine straight from international and paid like 70 bucks for it so like they say you get what you pay for dont get the cheep stuff from the local parts store for diesel you'll regret it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.