cold start help please - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2011, 08:46 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
cold start help please

Sorry if this has been covered a lot here but I am having trouble getting the truck started due to cold temps. Most of the time the truck is in 50 plus temps but it has started with little cranking in the high 30s before. Problem is I am in the mountains and 25 might be all I can hope for. Tried 2 days ago at around 10 degrees F. And no start after 5 cycles. Can I expect a start if I wait for temps to max out at 25 and keep cycling or are there other tricks or is it pointless without a block heater?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2011, 02:36 PM
Serving Our Country!

Check and make sure there is oil in the hpop Res.

turned out to be the problem with mine.

If no oil in there it will not start.
Old 01-03-2011, 01:14 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

How do you check the res for oil? Probably on tons of threads here but I am too lazy to look right now.

I ended up finding a really long extension cord after lots of searching and plugged in for 4 hours at 20*F and it felt almost like she started up before I turned the key.

Can any of you guys tell me what the coldest temp you have been able to get a successful cold startup on your OBS PSD? I haven't used a thermometer but I would guess I have started in the high 30s (maybe it was low 40s) with lots of cranking and 90 sec glow cycles. I assume this is not good for the engine though. Does anyone find themselves in situations where there is no ground power in cold climates like winter camping? What do you do? Gas generator? Are there mods that can be done to solve this like a remote block heater, would the stock battery bank support this or would you need supplemental power. Seems better than firing up a generator for 1-4 hours and waiting.
Old 01-03-2011, 03:16 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

If your GP system is functioning properly and you have good batteries you should be able to start it easily at 10* To check the glow plug relay I just use a heavy screw driver across the large lugs for a few secs to see if it starts better right after. There are other ways to check it but that one is quick

This is from NCHornet:To check Glow Plugs.
Remove the electrical connector on the inboard side of valve cover at the gasket. Press down on the top of the connector latch and pry gently with a screwdriver. Photo of disconnecting one and another Photo of it loose.
There will be 9 pins on the valve cover gasket where you removed the connector. The two pins furthest forward and the two pins furthest back are for your glow plugs.
With your multimeter set to resistance (ohms) and low range (single digits) if not autoranging, clip the negative (black) lead to a good ground point.
Probe each of the 4 outer pins individually with the positive (red) lead, noting the resistance. Good glow plugs will have a resistance between 0.6 and 2 ohms. If you get infinite resistance on any glow plug, that one is either bad or the connector under the valve cover has come loose.
Old 01-03-2011, 05:42 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

thanks for the tip, I have been planning on checking the GPR and plugs as I suspected they maybe the issue but wasn't sure if the tough start in cold conditions was typical or not. Now I know and will get after it ASAP. What is the block heater for if the system is designed to start in 10*? How cold does it need to get before a blockheater is required and is there any advantage to using the block heater if the system is working well enough to start in 10*, improved longevity maybe? I read somewhere that if starting without a block heater in cold conditions the engine should be run at light load immediately and not idled or pushed hard. Is there any truth to this?
Old 01-03-2011, 06:14 PM

the motor gets up to temp faster so it is easier on it and the oil stays where it will flow better so it doesn't starve the top end as much, plus (just because I'm a wuss ) it puts out heat faster
Yes and no on the second part, whether it's 90* or -10* I'll start the truck and let it idle until I know the oil has had decent time to circulate and get everything coated (longer in the winter) but we are talking a minute tops. After that I try not to put it under any heavy load until it is at or close to operating temp
Old 01-04-2011, 07:06 PM
Serving Our Country!

Sorry for the wait.
But to check the hpop there is an small aluminum looking tank in the front of the engine. There is a sensor on top of this tank. There is a 1/4 drive socket plug on the right side of the lid.
Just use a 1/4 ratchet with an extension and remove the plug. Take the extension and put in hole (don't let go. Lol ) and use that as a gauge and see if there is any oil in there.
If not fill up just below the plug line and check and see if the truck will start.
Like I stated before. There was no oil in mine I filled it up and she popped right off.

Let me know who it turns out.
Old 01-08-2011, 08:20 PM

Send a message via MSN to wyoming
you might be having a gp prob. Try putting a charger on the truck for a good long while, day or 2, see if that helps
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.