still no start - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2010, 11:51 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to steve-0
still no start

replaced gpr and all 8 glow plugs.
went and checked to see if i had voltage at the gpr and neither has voltage. when i switch the key on it should read 12v at the back (bigger) post. it does not show voltage, the front post should show 12v constant correct?
but mine doesnt.
still no start?
i followed the front post term wire on the gpr to a second relay on the passanger side fenderwell. but that wire seems to go to ground?

does anybody have a wiring diagram or a pic of there truck showing where the wires go?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2010, 12:27 PM
Serving Our Country!

I will try to get a pic up today for ya.

Also check the hpop res. If there is no oil in there it will not start.

That turned out to be the issue with my truck..
Old 12-31-2010, 12:52 PM

I can give you a clue about this

What you're experiencing, I went through it & replaced glow plugs, those gaskets that have the electrical plugs on them, the relay, the front synchronizer and still, NO POWER. Guess what it ended up to be over $550 later? It was a fuel heater at the bottom of the fuel pump (CORRECTION, IT WAS THE FUEL HEATER AT THE BOTTOM OF THE FUEL FILTER I BELIEVE), it had shorted and was burning a fuse really lightening fast each time you tried to start, and going to absolutely zero power. Guess what else was found to be ruined after the mechanic replaced the fuel heater? The speedometer, the parking lights would no longer shut off even with the key out and walking away from the truck. Other things had to be fixed too. Oh the challenges of figuring out the most inconspicuous things wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve-0 View Post
replaced gpr and all 8 glow plugs.
went and checked to see if i had voltage at the gpr and neither has voltage. when i switch the key on it should read 12v at the back (bigger) post. it does not show voltage, the front post should show 12v constant correct?
but mine doesnt.
still no start?
i followed the front post term wire on the gpr to a second relay on the passanger side fenderwell. but that wire seems to go to ground?

does anybody have a wiring diagram or a pic of there truck showing where the wires go?

Last edited by nightofstars; 01-03-2011 at 02:56 PM.
Old 12-31-2010, 01:18 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

ok well im guessing the guy that had the truck before me had no clue how to work on a diesel.
i just got it to start after 20 mins of trying. what i did was take the pos. wire to the gpr (12v constant) and put it to battery. now i got 12v to the rear term on the gpr after the key has been turned on.
what its doing now.
it sounds like i has a huge cam at idle. and it hessitates when you hit the throttle and clears up around 2500 rpm.

-hpop res i checked and is full.

you think i have a icp prob?
where is the icp at?
ive read that if i unplug it and it clears up the idle then that is bad?
Old 12-31-2010, 01:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

ok while engine running. pulled icp sensor (standing from drivers side fender. left sensor?)
truck straight up died! oil in sensor! bad icp?
pluged it in. started up but still runs rough
Old 12-31-2010, 02:24 PM
Premium Member

If you have oil coming out of the connector you need to replace it... That could be your culprit. Does it clear up once it warms up?
Old 12-31-2010, 02:28 PM
Premium Member

The ipr could be going or the orings are giving way. The icp directs the ipr. If the ipr orings are letting some oil get by, then the icp will command more from the ipr. The ipr could be putting all it has into it but the leak-by will make it run like crap. Eventually the orings will fail completely or the ipr will fail and it won't start. Check the tin nut on the back of the ipr and make sure it is tight. look at the ipr pigtail for degradation caused by fuel spills while changing fuel filters.
Old 12-31-2010, 02:30 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

doesnt even warm up. the guy had the waterpump replaced before i traded it. and it seems they didnt put the thermo in it. cause it came with an extra thermostat. and when i squezze the upper rad hose its just squooshy(sp) like theres no thermo in it. im just gonna pop the upper rad of from the block and see if theres one in there but my guess there isnt because i drove it around for 2 hours one day and it still never moved on the gauge.
so im guessing theres no t-stat.

and im pretty sure thats the prob. because ive read that it should hold idle and mine doesnt just dies. so im going to replace that. where can i buy one of these? having trouble finding a 95 icp sensor. just finding the newer (96+) and im guessing i would just need the new connector pigtail?
Old 12-31-2010, 02:53 PM
Premium Member

I believe they are all the same. The only differences are the wrench size needed is different and the contacts in the newer one are gold and not tinned silver as in yours. They function exactly the same. The only thing you should do if getting the newer one is change your pigail to the gold connectors. The theory behind that is the dissimilar metals will corrode the connection. The newer one is the better choice and will fit and tunction exactly as the original part intended.
Old 12-31-2010, 03:19 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

interesting. ill try that. where should i get the pigtail? junk yard and off 96-97? i cant just buy the pigtail online?
ill report back soon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.