Up pipe leak?? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2010, 05:28 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Up pipe leak??

I have a leak in my up pipe and the guys at the local diesel shop showed me where it was leaking and said i need to replace the donut seal. They also said the up pipes are probably rounded off and should be replaced at the same time.

1. First thing they said is the after market bellows(i think that what they called it)or up pipes and seals are $900. OME are $450. These prices are parts only. I can get them for $184 with my account at the dealer. What have you guys done? Is stock ok or aftermarket that much better?

2. The other thing they said is i probably have to pull the tranny to do this. A 4.5 hr job for them at $99 an hr. (I would do it myself regardless but curious what it would cost to have them do it.) HAs anyone done this by pulling the turbo? Can it be done that way? I was thinking if i could do it by pulling the turbo i would do that then replace the pedestal rings at the same time and also do the EBPV delete mod. What do you guys think?

3. Lastly i can only get 11 psi sometimes 13psi of boost with stock sticks but before the adrenaline i would only get 10 psi. Do you guys think this will cure the low boost problem??

Thanks for any insight!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2010, 08:00 AM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I haven't had to do my OBS yet, but it should be similar to the SD. International has a updated version of the pipes for the SD that would fit if you want to change the turbo and exhaust manifold. Sinister diesel has a custom version that is bellowed like the new international version but fits the OBS but it's expensive. If you have another vehicle to drive, pull the pipes off and check them, you may get by with just replacing the doughnuts.

As for pulling them off, they strattle the transmission. You can either pull the transmission and remove the pipes in one piece or unbolt the pipes at the Y behind the turbo and remove each half separately.

After having done the pipes with the transmission in place, I would say pull the trans if you have the tools. It is not a job that I want to ever do again and I was sore for several days afterward. That being said, I am glad I spent the extra money for ceramic coated bellowed up pipes that I should never have to touch again.

If your pipes are leaking, you will regain some boost by fixing the leak.
Old 12-24-2010, 08:31 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Do the bellowed up pipes fit on a OBS?
Old 12-24-2010, 10:12 AM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
For bellowed up pipes on a OBS you either need some custom ones from Sinister or you can adapt the super duty style ones by swapping the turbo and drivers side exhaust manifold.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.