96 with excessive blowby and oil consumption - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2010, 10:51 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
96 with excessive blowby and oil consumption

This is in regards to my daughter's 96 7.3 powerstroke. We were talking today and she was telling me that she is having to add anywhere between a half to a gallon of oil every couple of weeks and that when she removes the oil fill cap with the truck running, she is getting quite a bit of blowby coming from the fill cap.
I have already fixed her HPOP which was leaking and the other day one of her friends was trying to tell her that the turbo pedestal was leaking but last night when I changed the oil on her truck, I did not see any oil leaking and didn't see any oil in the intake manifold valleys in the rear valley. She does have a slight fuel leak on the fuel pump, coming from what I believe to be the fuel pump weep hole, if there is such an animal on that fuel pump, and I am sure what this kid is thinking is an oil leak is actually diesel that he is seeing because there is a very, very slight drip off of the flywheel dust cover.
This pickup is chipped, but what I am thinking is the cause of her oil consumption and excessive blowby is that the gaskets on the injectors are leaking by. Can someone please confirm that feeling or steer me towards what could be the possible issues that could cause excessive blowby and oil consumption. The pickup runs very strong and has about 225,000 miles on it.

Also, if it is the injectors that are leaking by and needs new gaskets, where is the cheapest place to order the best gaskets for this application and do I need any special tools to remove the injectors? Also, when I remove the valve covers, does this truck have reusable O rings like my 99 or do I need to replace the gasket every time I remove the covers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2010, 10:56 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Are you sutre its blow by and not injector o-ring failure? My 02 would started burning a gallon every 40 miles or so.I pulled the injectors and had one bad oil o-ring and 2 bad fuel o-rings.The oil o-ring would allow the oil to be burned with the fuel and ran great til the oil got low which was starving it for fuel.Didn't really notice for a while til it quit once and was 2.5 gals short.
Old 12-23-2010, 11:05 AM
haters gonna hate 24/7.

Old 12-23-2010, 11:30 AM

Dorman makes a cheap valve cover kit which has the gaskets the harness to the gasket and the harnesses under the valve covers.The part number is 615-202 dorman and the Ford o-rings are XC3Z-9229-AB or cm-5010 motorcraft.There are no special tools that I remember using but I did replace glow plugs while I was in there.
Old 12-23-2010, 11:41 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Stangman, that was my thoughts on injector O ring failure and hence the oil burning. I did pull the oil cap one time with it running and there was a little bit of blowby coming from the oil fill, but I personally didn't feel that it was really that much, compared to what my daughter thinks, but of course she is going off of the thoughts of some of her male diesel owner friends. I have seen older semis with worse blowby then that.

When this truck is started up, it does have quite a bit of exhaust coming from the tail pipes and even after it warms up, you can still see some exhaust coming from it, but I wasn't sure if that was just because it has been chipped, as my truck is not chipped and has over 320,000 on the engine, and doesn't put out the exhaust like this one does.

I also had to have a talk with my daughter today on how much oil she was putting into her truck because she was telling me that when she was checking the oil and it was barely showing on the dipstick, she would put a whole gallon into the engine. I informed her that it was only about 2 qts low instead and told her overfilling it, will create excessive blowby as well. She just got this truck about 2 1/2 months ago and before that owned a couple of cars and before that was driving my truck and car, which I took care of all of the mechanical and oil stuff on it.
Old 12-23-2010, 11:47 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Stangman, I can agree with doing the glow plugs while the valve cover is off since I know on mine the right side valve cover was such a ***** to remove and get back into place.
Thanks on that info. I just hope that I am on the right track with thinking it is the injector O rings leading to her excessive oil consumption. I really can't think of what else it could be.
Poor kid, we get this truck and it seems like everything else is breaking on her. We test drove the truck and it ran great and the only thing I could see wrong at the time was that small fuel leak from the fuel pump. I did not pull the oil fill cap when we did the test drive. The bad thing about buying used vehicles.
Old 12-23-2010, 12:10 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by STANGMAN893 View Post
The oil o-ring would allow the oil to be burned with the fuel and ran great til the oil got low which was starving it for fuel.Didn't really notice for a while til it quit once and was 2.5 gals short.
Stangman, something I learned when my daughter's HPOP was leaking, is that these 7.3 powerstrokes were designed that when the oil level got as low as yours got, that it would shut down the engine because there was not enough oil to pump up to the high pressure oil resevoir. I forget what the system name is called. My daughter had this very thing happen to her and one of my diesel guru coworkers and two of the guys at Haller's Repair, all told me about this safe guard. The one mechanic at Haller's told me that he saw one guy where the oil plug was not installed right when the guy got an oil change in Wheatland and when he was on his way down to Cheyenne the truck quit running because his oil level got low. Great safeguard that was built into these 7.3s and like the guy at Hallers told me, next to impossible to blow them up because of lack of oil.
Old 12-24-2010, 07:57 PM

I really wouldnt worry to much about the blowby i havent seen how much she has but i am sure it cant be any worse then mine. And trust me mine looks like a coal train
Old 12-25-2010, 06:37 AM
Premium Member

take the fuel filter out, if the fuel is black, then your injector o rings are leaking 100% positive, especially if they have never been replaced before, the ultra low sulfur diesels seems to eat the original ones away. Only replace them with the updated OEM ford or international o rings. deals can be found on ebay.

All you need is a pry bar to get the injectors out, its relatively easy. before you take the injectors out, purge the high pressure oil rail by removing 2 of the plugs under the valve cover and shooting air into it. Also before after you get the injectors back in, remove the glow plugs and crank the motor for a few seconds to force and accumulated oil or fuel out through the hole so you dont hydro lock the engine.

Last edited by ryandamo; 12-25-2010 at 06:43 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.