Won't Start - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2010, 10:51 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Won't Start

The other morning it was very cold for here at 13 degrees and it stayed below freezing for a couple of days. On the 2nd day I went out to crank my truck and it cranked but it wooshed and smoked and eventually I could not keep it running and it died. I have not been able to get it to start since. I understand the wooshing sound and the white smoke, but it would not stay up and now won't get up. I checked the GPR and it is good, checked all fuses all good. I know I shouldn't but I did try starter fluid and it burns it off and quits. There is fuel in my filter housing and I even tried adding some and still nothing. I have a backup electric fuel pump on a toggle but even with it on still nothing so I don't think this is a supply from the tank problem. My tech manual says it is probably the High Pressure Oil Pump but is that the only thing it can be? Help please!!!!

!995 F-350 7.3 ltr, auto(E4OD), Crew Cab 2wd, with 287,000 on her.

Last edited by crosswired2; 12-20-2010 at 08:46 PM. Reason: Signature
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2010, 01:41 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

If you have a 95,they are prone to leak down for some reason.You can check oil level in your HPOP first,that pump runs the injectors.It also would help adding to your signature with model, year, and mileage.The good folks here are prone to help you.Good luck
Old 12-20-2010, 08:20 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the info about the signature. I am new to this whole forum thing and am trying to feel my way around.
The HPOP is leaking down as it sits overnight. Are you saying it may not be holding at all or what? It has been leaking down at night for the last 3 years or so I just watch for my OP to come up when I start ccranking and she normally fires up fine. Now I have OP but still won't start.
Old 12-21-2010, 05:18 AM

Does your tach move while cranking,if not it could be CPS.There are alot of current posts dealing with what you are experiencing,one is the ipr can be the culprit for draining problem but i am just guessing at this point.I too lurked on this site for some time and have learned quite abit.The Injector Pressure Regulator "IPR" has a tin nut that can back off,I haven't ever dealt with one ,just read about it.
Old 12-21-2010, 06:13 AM

try plugging it in, if she starts, point at your GP system. If still no start, look at fuel/injection.
Old 12-21-2010, 10:19 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I will go in the direction of the IPR and CPS tomorrow and maybe that will get it. I have already checked the GPR and fuses and all seems good. It never failed to start before the only reason for longer starts was the HPOP leaks down and it sometimes requires a little more cranking to get the OP up to refill the res. I have had problems in sub freezing weather before like going dead and having to let it sit and go again after a few minutes but this is the first trouble this year. Love my PSD but it def don't like cold weather.
Is that a sure fire way to check the CPS? The rpms on cranking? If I have rpms on the tach then does that mean it is good?

Last edited by crosswired2; 12-21-2010 at 10:21 PM. Reason: Forgot
Old 12-22-2010, 04:59 AM

Crosswired,I believe you are on the right track about the Ipr seeing how Hpop has been draining for sometime now.I went to Ebay and found complete IPRs and repair kits for our trucks.As far as Cps,I don't think there is a standard method for checking other than retrieving codes.I replaced mine last week,it would run and then without notice,cut off,miss randomly.Most of these guys replace em just in case.Have you checked the oil level in your hpop?
Old 12-22-2010, 08:47 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I have not checked the level. Are you talking about checking after I begin cranking and the OP comes up?
Old 12-22-2010, 05:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I checked the level in the HPOP and it was 1/2 to 2/3 full. I went ahead and added a littleto not quite full but close. I changed the oil and I also changed the CPS. Nothing! I ohmed out the GPs and I found 1 that measured 1.6 ohms and the rest were under 1. So I figure I have 1 that is bad, but that won;'t keep it from starting. I guess next will be the IPR. How does it come off? I thought that the Hex that stuck out the back might be it but it started to turn without any the rest so I stopped there. The connector out the side says no to any socket and there is only a very slim part of a nut closer to the pump. Is that what I have to get a wrench on? What size is it? I would like to know before I grind my wrenches down.
Old 12-22-2010, 05:29 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

yeah thats the IPR. You have to remove the thin metal nut then their is a metal spacer about 1 inch long that slides off then the coil pack slides off. Finaly put a socket on the IPR and remove it. I think it was 1 1/8 but not positive I have mine at work or I would tell you. Just checking but did you have it plugged in? How about any power service or anti gell in the fuel?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.