need help, no start idm problems - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2010, 04:09 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exclamation need help, no start idm problems

so truck died a month ago with just a no start at all, turns fine and fast but no smoke and and no start. im getting power to the idm but not to the injectors, the idm works. and im not getting any codes. we put the idm in my dads truck(96 psd) and it started, so we dont know whats going on. i know these are known to have the injector harness go bad but usually one side or gust a few. why would it all randomly go out? what can i test? any pics of the pins to test the harness?
thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2010, 04:13 PM
Premium Member

Check fuse #22 under the hood. It is a 20amp maxi fuse on the driver side fenderwell. If it is blown, the computer is not getting any power. It is caused by the fuel bowl heater shorting out. Just unplug the heating element and replace the fuse..
Old 12-13-2010, 04:55 PM

have no heater or anything fuse 22 is fine. checked all possible fuses, even had a mechanic for the international 7.3s and he found we had power to the idm but not to the injectors. we got no idm codes but neither did the other 2 obs diesels we had hen we unplugged the idm's. why is it not getting power to the injectors? is there any way to test the power from the idm? befor it goes into the valve cover though? it looks like after the idm the wires run under the fuse box and plug into a small connector block, than the injector harness starts. what wires do i poke to find power?
Old 12-14-2010, 03:06 PM

bump pump. to the top. any one have any opinions? cant work on it since its pouring out here
Old 12-14-2010, 03:07 PM
Rangers Lead The Way!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
sounds like a PCM, thats where id start
Old 12-14-2010, 03:26 PM
Premium Member

Do you have a chip? If so, remove the chip from the computer. Then see if it starts. Are you getting the wait to start light? Try unplugging the icp to see if it will start. Just fishing here. It is hard to diagnose without looking at it.

Alright, lets start from the top... are you getting the wait to start light?
RPM increasing as you crank?
Oil pressure building while cranking?
Check the hpop level? Is it full? If not, fill it up?
Look at the IPR harness for degradation from fuel spills.
Double check fuse #22
unplug icp and see if it will start
check all four connectors to valve cover gaskets for melted areas.
Engine oil level at normal level...
Old 12-14-2010, 04:09 PM

checked pcm and we can throw codes by unplugging a sensor, and it will go off once plugged back in. we r getting power to the idm in all points, but nothing to the injectors.

getting wts light
getting rpms on tach
have oil pressure
oil res is full
ipr throws a code if unplugged so i would guess that works, and i just got a new used one and rebuilt it.
check fues every day
no melted wires anywhere.
this is the crazy part. i oil is at the o of the do not over fill on the stick, its on an angle but thats still high. we have checked everything, over and over, its got to be idm
Old 12-14-2010, 04:29 PM
Premium Member

Unplug the icp and see if it will fire.. Connector on driver side oil rail. Can you hear injectors clicking when cranking. If so then u have a fuel issue.
Old 12-14-2010, 07:04 PM
Premium Member

Did a little research.
The IDM (you are getting power to) is controlled by the ECM. Let's see if I can make sense of this. I can see it in my head, but putting it on paper is a little difficult.
If the IDM was bad, you will get codes. It performs a self check everytime it is powered up. Now, here is where all the sensors come into play.
The ECM goes through self checks when powered up (the check engine light briefly illuminates when key is turned on), at the same time the IDM is self checking itself.
Power to the IDM is supplied by the ECM via an IDM relay.
ICP tells the ECM the pressure in the oil rails and the ECU in turn controls the ground to the IPR to regulate the amount of pressure it is demanding. Once the ECM is satisfied those parameters are met, it will send a signal to the IDM to fire the injectors. Now, if any of the following sensors are out of whack, the signal to fire will NOT happen - IPR, ICP, EBP. That could be why you aren't getting any voltage to your injectors.
Does that make any sense?
I would check the IDM relay. Unplug the ICP (sets a reference voltage and will allow the engine to fire if sensor is bad). Check the IPR orings and IPR itself. Check EBP circuit. Look at all fuses and check with a multimeter. Tap on all the relays.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.