HD block heater or oil heater? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2010, 02:54 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
HD block heater or oil heater?

I live in North Dakota... yeah, i know. At -15 F or lower even when my truck is plugged in with the normal block heater it takes running th glow plugs for a while to get it started, and even then smokes alot and runs pretty rough (with low power sometimes) until warm. I've looked and can't' seem to find a heavy duty block heater, or an oil heater or something, and was wondering if there is another poor sap on here stuck in a place like N Dakota with their Powerstroke. And what he/she recomends for a more thorough warming during extreme cold.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2010, 10:12 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via MSN to wyoming
I'm running both, truck fires right up when plugged in at -20. But I dont know the makes of either, they were on the truck when I bought it. I just put a junction box on the front of my truck and wired in a 3 way, so I can run a single cord to the truck and power both the heaters. I am actually gonna ad a battery maintainer to the truck also. So on the real cold weekends that the truck might sit, the batteries are topped off too.
Old 12-19-2010, 09:20 PM

^^love that setup, would love to get mine hooked up like that. Info on the front bumper please.

OP, I think that would be your best bet-running both in series. Although I think a heater for the antifreeze would be a better choice than oil heater-it'll reach all the water jackets in your block. Also switch to 5w40 if you haven't already. I'm kinda in the same boat as you..intermittent injector problems make the truck extremely difficult to start even after block heated, brand new starter, and brand new batteries. And a failing fuel pump. FML...
Old 12-20-2010, 03:07 PM

Ya running both a block heater and oil heater, it only takes 10 minutes or so till I'm putting out heat in the cab. Down side in real cold temps you will get alot of ice build up on your fenders and bug guard (if you have one).

What do ya want to know about the bumper? I'll tell ya what ever you want to know.
Old 12-20-2010, 10:08 PM

Did you modify the factory bumper or did you start from scratch? I guess I can't tell from the pic you posted. I like your idea of the towhooks in front and the Junction box would look better than a plug sticking out of my grill lol. Just curious overall how you went about making the front end, looks very similar to another guy's from a different forum and I love the look.

P.S. I just bought big-o xt's last week. Been dying to try them out in deep snow but haven't got to yet. How do you like em?
Old 12-21-2010, 03:25 PM

The big O XT's are not to bad, I like the Firestone "Destination m/t's" better. But at the time I needed tires right now and the XT's where the best deal and shortest wait. They have not left highh and dry yet and seem to do well up in the high country.

I copied these from several earlier post of mine. This is the whole story of my front end. LOL

"Ok so I went bear hunting in the laramie range friday and saturday. We have gotten alot of snow and rain this year. But most of the mountain roads are in good shape. The ground has sucked up the runoff.
Well I had been driving all over the place for the last few days to kill time in the middle of the day. (to hot to hunt) I was just driving really slow looking for elk. I had gone through several really nasty mud hole no problem in 4 wheel drive. So I was heading back to my bear spot, and was out of the muddy areas. So I took it out of 4 wheel drive, and was just putting along . I 2 little puddles in the road in front of me, not more than a foot wide in the tire ruts of the road. I just kept on putting along. Next thing I know it felt like I drive off a curb. The truck just dropped to its axles. I had found a sink hole. 4 hours later some one finally came by. And an hour and a half later, she broke free from quick sand tumb. We work on pulling it from the back for an hour and only moved the truck 10 inches . We noticed that the rear diff was bruried into the dry road about a foot, going backwards was not an option any more. So we moved to the front, and of course I dont have hooks on the front. So we had to hook to the frame behind the bumper( Axle was not accessible ) and instead of trying to pull me out easy on the first try. He got about 4 foot of slack in the strap and BAMM. I was free but my bumper took a hit. And yes a set of 35" swamper tsl's are next on the to get list"

The build

"This is my recovery front end me and my wife built, after having my front end tore up getting pulled out. I'm not done with it yet need to add some lights and get the fair lead cut in and mount the winch."

Old 12-21-2010, 07:52 PM

Wow man thanks a lot for the helpful info, and nice fab work! I love the idea, I may make mine a bit more shallow if I ever get around to making my own though. Did you make yours stick out for ease of working in the engine bay? Your welds look really good too. I can see why you now have a 4" lift after those pictures haha.

I guess I'm supposed to get hit pretty hard with snow this weekend..I'll report back with how the tires do in deep snow. Can't wait
Old 12-21-2010, 07:54 PM

The other thing I have that helps in cold weather is my Idle controller
Old 12-21-2010, 07:59 PM

ya the front end works great for working on the truck and as a table

Last edited by wyoming; 12-21-2010 at 08:09 PM.
Old 12-21-2010, 08:10 PM

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.