Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Confounding oil leak

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  GreenF350 
#1 ·
I have a pretty bad oil leak on my 96 and i cant figure out where the oil is coming from. I just put the adrenaline in:woot: and it was for sure leaking there on the old pump gasket. Fixed that with the new pump. Had another leak this week from the oil dipstick bracket in the oil pan. Fixed that with formagasket on the nut threads. Now im getting oil in the valley and leaking out the back but it is not coming from the hpop at all. I used a hotzi pressure washer to clean the valley and there is no oil coming from the hpop but im not sure where it could be coming from. Can it be the head or is the gasket lower than the valley? When i have the truck running i cant see any hoses or anything leaking that is really obvious like spraying or anything but i lose about a quart er so every hundred miles. Any ideas on where i should start? Would it help to put pics up too? Any advice would be much appreciated. I am scratching my head on what to do.:dunno::dunno:

#3 ·
04blackstroker

I think my y pipe boots are ok cuz i had them off when i did the adrenaline and they still felt really good and flexible. Would i want to pull my turbo to check the pedestal o rings or can i do a visual from above?
Also kinda wierd is i get oil residue on my intake boot to my diy 6637 mod on the INSIDE. I think maybe unrelated?? I dunno just trying to get all the info out there. I do get blow by cuz when i pull my dipstick i get smoke coming out. This truck has 350000 miles so probably due for a complete makeover in the making but hoping to push it off until next summer.

Hmm...would the turbo leaking cause oil residue to leak into the intake pipe?

Thanks for any and all help.

#4 ·
as far as the oil inside or your intake tube i'm not too sure about that, but I know one thing that causes oil in the valley is the turbo pedestal orings, I just replaced them in my truck, not a horrible job just a little time consuming

#5 ·
I was thinking turbo pedistal o-rings too. Mine have only seeped on me, never went through a quart in 100 miles, but it's possible. They leak into the valley and out the drain hole in the back. Took me almost all day the first time I had my turbo out to do the GT38R and the improved up pipes on mine, but now I can get a turbo out in an hour or so. Not too bad of a job at all and it only cost a few bucks for the o-rings.

One thing you might try is cleaning the crap out of the intake valley (spray it down with carb/brake cleaner, etc) and get it all clean then start it up and take a look...maybe go for a short drive if you have to and then see where the oil is coming from. Front of the valley is HPOP, rear is turbo pedistal o-rings.

-Aaron

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.