7.3l no start - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2010, 10:25 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
7.3l no start

I have a 98 f350 that started with a fuel leak and no power. Fuel was leaking on filter bace where pressure valve and spring is located. Replaced the packing and now no start. Engine oil full. Fuse #22 good. Getting fuel all the way to the head. Will run on starting fluid. Oil pressure gauge is moving when cranking and so is RPM gauge. Wait to start light is going out also. Not sure what else to check. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Blaprairie; 12-02-2010 at 04:58 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2010, 05:03 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

No start

I also checked the solenoid for the glow plug and it works ok. Does any one know of a trouble shooting guide on line that may give me a little guidance. I am a certified John Deere technician so I know my way around a diesel engine but my knowledge on the power stroke is limited. If anyone has questions on tractors or heavy equipment I would be more than happy to help just reply to post or send me an email. Thanks.
Old 12-05-2010, 03:55 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

If someone can give me a little guidance I would be willing to pay for your knowledge. I really don't want to take this truck to a dealer. I know they will charge me a fortune. Any information that leads to the proper diagnosis I will send you a check for $100.00. Plus if you ever need any information on the repair of any type of heavy equipment I will be more than happy to help for free.
Old 12-05-2010, 06:23 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

ok go with me on this but.... i am sure your filter is good right? next did it do anything before up an dead? i dont want it to be pcm but it may be worst case. Is there atleast a faint scent of electical burn? i wanna lean to the uvch but cant really at this time. If you want give me acall and i will help you as much a i can. note i dont care about money all i really care is a classic back on the road ! send me a pm and i will try and work it out
Old 12-06-2010, 07:56 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for lending me a hand on diagnosing this truck. Since I don't have your phone number here is mine. 936-689-7517. Please give me a call when you are available. I would like to tell you what I have done and discuss what the next step should be. Thanks again. Brandon LaPrairie.
Old 12-06-2010, 08:17 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Did you check for fuel.I had the same problem with mine and the pump crapped out.I pulled the line in front of the pump and turned the key quick to see no fuel.
Old 12-06-2010, 10:44 AM

I just saved this from another post. I believe it was Kanuck's:

NO START:
First off fuel. she takse 45psi minimum to fire. Secondly high pressure oil. takes 500psi measured in the ports in the heads to fire. Thirdly it must turn over at 200rpm to start. With that being said CPS is number one issue that plagues these trucks. After that 22 fuse. I know you checked these but i am starting from the very beginning to simplify it. After that you want to start checking for fuel and high pressure oil. This is all on the notion of no smoke out the pipe. if you have smoke then check the same things but they will be weak. not inoperable such as if there is no smoke. If there is fuel and high pressure oil start checking the wiring harness plugs at the valve covers and trace back to the IDM and PCM. also pull those plugs at the IDM and PCM to check for corrosion. If those check out this is where it gets tough. while cranking try tapping on the IPR (injector pressure regulator) as they stick some times. Also try unplugging the ICP (injector control pressure sensor) while cranking. If no results from that You might want to start looking at the idea of a PCM or IDM. sadly testing these without having good cores is next to impossible but a quick shot is to open them up and look for obvious corrosion or water
Old 12-06-2010, 10:45 AM

Usually, if you can see your tach moving as you crank it, your CPS is good.
Old 12-06-2010, 10:52 AM

if engine will run on starting fluid you have a fuel/injector problem. test fuel pressure, and all VCH and UVCH connections.
Old 12-06-2010, 05:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Brian, thanks for the information. I will give these ideas a try tomorrow. If this leads to the repair I will be contacting you for your address so I can send you a check. Thanks again.
Brandon LaPrairie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.