Urgent! Need Help! Truck keeps dying / wanting to die! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2010, 06:43 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exclamation Urgent! Need Help! Truck keeps dying / wanting to die!

Alright well I got 96 F250 and my truck has been damn good to me so far. The truck has about 182k and I have been driving since April of this year.The last two days when I would go out to start the truck in the morning she would start up just fine.

After idling for a little bit she would die, but always cranks right back up! (its been down in the low 30's here at night).

Well I went to leave for class this morning and my truck died 3 times within 15 minutes as I was letting it warm up. As I pulled out of the driveway she sputtered a little and acted like she wanted to die (did this twice driving down my road) but kept on running!

Now as I was driving down onto campus she acted like she wanted to die again and jerked pretty hard, but remained running.
Occasionally when cold (only running for about 5 minutes or so) it will sputter at little until it warms up some.

I need to figure this out as I have a 1200 mile round trip drive NEXT weekend and I need her running in tip top shape. And I dont think my girlfriend would fair to well if my truck died on me as we are driving.. yeah she would freak out!

So any help would be appreciated! If there is anyone in the East TN, North AL, or North GA area that has a scanner and would be willing to come scan my truck that would be great as well.

Oh and I did replace the CPS a while back with a cheapo one from the parts house locally, I have been meaning to get an International or Ford one.

Thanks in advance...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2010, 05:29 AM

Bump... any ideas?? I would really like to figure this out before I take my trip
Old 12-02-2010, 06:48 AM
Rangers Lead The Way!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
is there any CELs? id try a new CPS again just cause they can go out in as little as 100 miles. Also when it shuts down does it just cut right out or does it chug a bit and then kinda slowly die?
Old 12-02-2010, 07:41 AM

Kanuck there are no CEL's whatsoever.. and when it dies it just dies no chugging of any kind! I have 2 new CPS on the way, that way I have a spare, and they should be here tomorrow. I probably should clean the screen on the FRP (I believe is where its at) as well.
Old 12-02-2010, 08:30 AM
Rangers Lead The Way!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Sounds like you are on the right track on how to fix it. After the cps id get it scanned and go from there
Old 12-02-2010, 08:43 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I have the same truck, it was acting like that when the manual fuel pump was starting to go out at 210,000 miles. It will sart to leak fuel from its weep holes before it fails completly. There is good information on this site for changing it if that is your problem. Also make sure you don't have water in your fuel.
Old 12-02-2010, 10:03 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I made a similar thread recently; my truck has been doing the same, though yours sounds more frequent than mine. I'm fairly new to the world of psd's...could you tell me what CPS means? And FRP(unless you mean fpr-fuel pressure regulator)? Lol haven't quite gotten the lingo down yet.

I'll be getting mine scanned next week. Interested to hear your findings.

Last edited by BartZ32tt; 12-02-2010 at 10:30 AM.
Old 12-02-2010, 11:40 AM

the CPS is the cam position sensor and yes that is what FPR stands for. I just noticed I had as FRP but meant FPR. now could someone tell where exactly the screen is.. I might go ahead and do the shim for the FPR at the same time!

and thanks Kanuck I will do both of those and see if that helps any.

robertm where exactly is this manual fuel pump? any info you have would be great!

I will let yall know what happens after I get these few things done, and if I can I will get it scanned as well.

EDIT: I had to run a few errands and I think maybe some glowplugs are needed as well. Lots of white smoke when started / warming up. Also as I turned on one of the major roads the truck just about cut out completely and puffed a nice big white cloud of smoke! Any idea?

Last edited by jrbrock; 12-02-2010 at 12:19 PM.
Old 12-02-2010, 03:24 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Fuel pump info:
fuel pump

thanks for the clairification, I'm used to the cps refered to as a cas (cam/crank angle sensor).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.