Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Hard Starts...

922 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  STROKED_NY_023 
#1 ·
So lately my truck has been starting real hard in the morning and after work when it has been sitting all day. It acts like the batts are almost dead, i stuck a charger on and they were fully charged...

If the truck has been running it running it starts right up like normal. Also if i crank the motor for like 3 secs, let the GPs warm up again it cranks like normal...

Any ideas?? :dunno:

#3 ·
I had similar problems last week. The starter turned over, but not real strong. It has gotten worse as the weather has gotten colder. I thought it might be the cables, because of corrosion. I changed those, not cheap, and that didn't help. I then changed the starter, and that was it. It cranks over much faster than before.

#5 ·
Well it was the starter.... Lasted awhile before it finally totally stopped cranking...

#6 ·
ya know what i was trying to find this post because i ran into the same problem a day after new years, thought it was the batteries and finally the starter seized up, put a new one on and it starts within 3 seconds no matter how cold. If you had the original starter, the problem is they have a hole on the side where water can get in and eventually wreck them, on reman and new starters a plug is installed in this hole.

#7 ·
The new one I picked up from NAPA has a drain tube on it that I was told is to let the water out...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.