Tips of getting the turbo out - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2010, 04:38 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Tips of getting the turbo out

Hi just got my first diesel and is has an exhaust leak as well as bad seal on under the turbo. I have gotten my up pipes loose at the exhaust manifolds and the top bolts loose connecting the turbo to the y plates. Any advice from someone that has done it before on what to use on the bottom bolts to reach them. It's a 13mm I think. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2010, 05:23 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
If you have cash a snap-on dubble wobble ex with a shallow socket. If not any swivel racheting wrench. Mine WERE a 15 till i replaced the hardware. I know big pain in the a$$. If nethier of that works for you try just taking off the up-pies and taking the turbo off with the Y pipe still on. 4 10mm bolts hold the pedastl on the engine, also 2 on the bottom of the turbo but can't get to them with out taking the turbo and pedastl off as one. Their is a write up about it in the TECH section on the forum home page of this site. When you replace the up pipe gaskets use larger ones for a small block chevy. They compress and seat better. Also replace BOTH sets of o-ring for the turbo, the ones in between the turbo and ped and the ones that are on the block.
Old 11-21-2010, 03:14 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thanks for the help I ran around to get tools today and got the Y pipe loose. Is there a bolt on the turbo pedestal that has to come off to get the turbo to release or should it be free with those bolts off? I see a bolt behind the turbo on the pedestal and can't tell. Thanks again for the help
Old 11-21-2010, 07:27 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Their is 4 bolts holding the pedestal to the block two up front and one behind the exhaust housing and one behind the compressor side. The one on the compressor side in the back you'll have the EBPV ( exhaust back pressure Valve) housing which looks like a cylinder facing to each fender it'll have a rod coming outta it on one side. Look behind that ( towards the fire wall) and you'll see a small indent in in to get a 1/4" socket and swivel on the 10mm head. Take the EBPV housing off and the whole unit will come off then flip it over and two 10mm head bolts will seperate the turbo from the ped. I recomend also to get rid of the EBPV to prevent future problems. PM me if you need more help. But if i dont respond in time their is a post in the TECH section on how to do it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.