Leaking HPOP - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2010, 08:34 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Leaking HPOP

I went and replaced the O rings on my daughter's 96 7.3 powerstroke on the HPOP. The problem is that when I went to put the plug in on the backside, the threads weren't really wanting to catch and when I took the plug away to just take a break and regroup, I noticed that there was metal in the threads of the plug and some metal fragments that were in the plug hole as well. I was finally able to get the plug to start threading and actually got it to tighten up but of course when I started the truck, that plug started to leak thanks to stripped threads from whoever did that job before my daughter purchased this truck.
Here is my question? Short of buying a new or rebuilt HPOP, is there something else that maybe I could do to fix the leak and save some bucks. I talked with some of the guys at work and we had talked about re-threading that port to a pipe fitting and putting a pipe plug or maybe even welding the current plug into place as we have the equipment to do all sorts of different welding jobs but we were also worried that maybe with the heat of welding, it might screw something else up in the pump.
If this isn't a do able option, where is the cheapest place to buy a HPOP?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2010, 08:42 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

If it is the "non-servicable" plug, Dieselsite makes one that has longer threads. Here is the link.

http://www.dieselsite.com/index.asp?...ROD&ProdID=896
Old 11-18-2010, 08:51 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
If you try and re thread that plug with it in the truck you run a chance of getting metal filings in your HPO which will knock out injectors. The pumps aluminum I THINK, which will be hard to weld. You can go to the local junk yard and get a 17* HPOP out of a 99-03 SD and it'll work better then the stock one(they cost $150 down here in FL). Their are alot of websites that sell reman ones. If you were looking for a little bit better pump dieselsite.com has their own Adrenaline pump. Heres the link http://www.dieselsite.com/index.asp?...ROD&ProdID=894
Old 11-18-2010, 08:53 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Wow, that is good to know and it was even mentioning that I could get it from International which we have an International dealer here in town. I will have to call and ask them if they have it in stock, plus I don't know why I hadn't thought of it before on the O rings but I can probably get those cheaper as well from International since at this point of time I would consider that new O ring toast since it has been tightened up once.
It definitely is the "non serviceable" plug.
Old 11-18-2010, 08:55 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I did call the local junk yard and they didn't have any in stock and he told me he couldn't get me any. Also, I was going to take this pump off an into work to do the re-threading on it.
Old 11-18-2010, 09:30 AM

dont rethread, buy the plug from dieselsite......you will thank yourself in the long run
Old 11-24-2010, 09:41 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I did go and order the plug from Dieselsite.com but when I got the plug, it was the incorrect plug as that is the plug that sits up close to the high pressure oil reservoir and it is a smaller plug then the one that I needed.
Maybe I wasn't clear enough in my explanation, but this plug was at the back of the HPOP with the HPOP mounted and if you were to take out the plug with the HPOP still mounted, you would be possibly hitting the fuel filter housing in the process. Also this plug, once removed, you can see down to the openings in the HPOP block that feed the hydraulic fittings for the high pressure oil lines.
What I did do to fix the stripped out threads was to remove the pump, then I went and stuffed some cloth down into that opening all the way past where it necks down. After that I drilled it out with a 37/64ths drill bit to right where it necks down. Once done drilling, I blew out that area, then proceeded to take a 3/8" pipe thread tap and tap out that area. Then I blew it again and then removed the cloth from inside the HPOP and then held the HPOP upside down and flushed it out with some brake cleaner. Then I used some Hylomar thread and gasket sealant and threaded in a 3/8" pipe threaded plug. So far the fix has worked awesome as it is not leaking oil from that area.

Last edited by appycowgirl; 11-24-2010 at 09:44 PM.
Old 11-24-2010, 09:49 PM
scuffs *****

Send a message via AIM to Tyler
Damn you did a great job
Old 11-25-2010, 06:31 AM

Sorry we sent you in the wrong direction. Glad you made it work.
Old 11-28-2010, 09:23 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Majek5, that is not a problem. I was hoping that when I texted Dieselsite that they would've had a larger plug just specifically for that application, but even the guy at Dieselsite had recommended doing a pipe plug as well to fix that problem. When I had looked at the plug online I had thought it was a generalised pic, and that what they would send me would match the plug I had in hand.
Thanks Tyler.
I am hoping that this might help someone else out in the future.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.