Beware of oil additives - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2010, 10:36 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Beware of oil additives

Okay - I'll start with a disclaimer that in hind sight I should have known better having 310k on my engine. I have used LUCAS additive for quite a while but only have added a small amount. 3 weeks ago when changing the oil I actually used the recomended amount. (more than I usually add) I noticed the stock pressure gauge was a bit higher than normal. One day later I noticed oil on the ground. I drained the crankcase, put new oil in without additive, but it still leaked. After much searching by myself I turned it over to my mechanic. It is leaking from the timing cover. HPOP, turbo pedistal and plugs are all NOT leaking.

Now this gasket may have leaked on its own sooner or later, BUT I'd say that anybody that has higher miles on their 7.3, leave well enough alone, or you too will be faced with a repair that calls for over 18 hour of labor.

(UG!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2010, 06:31 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Did you use the Synthetic stuff which is one bottle with every oil change that says USE FOR POWERSTROKE? Or the thick sh!t for gas engines, 1 bottle for every 4 or 5 quarts or what ever. The syn stuff is ALOT thinner.
Old 11-21-2010, 05:01 AM

I used the one for diesels - has specific diesel instructions on it the label. I based my use also on older posts of what people have used. It's probably just my luck. Sometimes I feel like Walter Fielding (Tom Hanks) in THE MONEY PIT.
Old 11-21-2010, 10:00 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I don't bother with aditives other than standyne in the fuel every other fill. I switched over to a synthetic oil and premium diesel fuel truck is much happier with that. I learned a long time ago to stay away from oil additives. I did a tranny flush on my first car and added a additive to it. 2 days later the tranny blew up and all i had was reverse... Got some really funny looks driving down the road backwards trying to get home. I have used oil additives a few times in my earlier years and always had something go shortly after
Old 11-21-2010, 10:32 AM

I don't know about the fuel pressure / fuel leak scenario, but Lucas fuel treatment is amazing stuff in regular gas as a stabilizer. I have stories, but not going to type them right now.

Last edited by retmotor; 11-21-2010 at 10:36 AM.
Old 11-21-2010, 02:08 PM

I did a lot of research before starting to use LUCAS. Cruised this awesome site, talked with mechanics, etc. I have used additives before, but only in 2 scenerios. Additive in my '86 Monte Carlo years ago. 4.3 V-6 awesome engine, but after 250k was getting some blow-by. Used Risilone (I think) also years ago to quiet a wrist pin rattle in my '64 Buick. I would never use an additive in a trans except in a last ditch case to try to get more miles out of somethng was was about to let loose.
I did notice that with LUCAS the 7.3 "rattled" less. I'm really hoping that it was just the added pressure that caused the leak. Went over 200 miles since re-filling without LUCAS, cleaned the top of the engine and so far can see no leak. If it stays dry, will clean the oil pan once again and re-paint. Hope to get some more miles before that rusted piece of crap pan disinegrates.

Thanks to all who posted!
Old 11-21-2010, 08:13 PM
Banned

I just run one quart of LUCAS syn in with 14qts of DELO and haven't had a single leak. 75-140 Royal purple in the axle and synthetic Mercon IV in the tranny. Howies lube w/ Lucas fuel additive with each fill up zROCK that standyne additive is the best stuff out there but the only one who sells it is a diesel shop in sarasota 35 miles one way. Its also like 20 bucks a bottle. Just not as convenint as the stuff i can get at the Pilot.
Old 11-22-2010, 07:05 AM

I run Rotella. Is there any mileage benefit from running synthetic? I drive around 20k miles a year. Are there any dangers switching to synthetic in a high mileage vehicle? After this leak fiasco I'm afraid to try anything new with 311k on the truck. I'm asking because years ago if you put synthetic in an older vehicle, the oil tended to "gunk" up.
Old 11-22-2010, 09:26 AM

A lot of oil that is labeled synthetic, really isn't, it's just processed to a point where they can label it "synthetic." Or it's partly synthetic. That may have had something to do with your "gunk" problem. Don't know...

I just read a post on here a while ago where a guy switched to synthetic in his whole drivetrain and his MPG improved.
Old 11-23-2010, 12:39 AM
Banned

Yes because its thinner. Viscosity is your resistance against moving parts which is your 5W 40W 15-40W ect ect. synthetics have a low resistance rating which allows your internal parts to move faster because of this. The only down fall is if you have a engine with a lot of miles and worn down bearings the oil won't fill that gap which is why in higher mile vehicles you tend to run higher viscosity oil. Also why your oil pressure tends to be a little higher. I notice when you have a high mileage vehicle and you switch to synthetic you will more then likely develop a leak or notice a little more blow by. I run Delo because it has a better four ball wearing test the Rotella but wont send me home with nothing unlike Mobil 1.( which out performs Delo) also performing oil anayis tests Delo won't break down as much or a quickly as Rotella. ( not ragging on Rotella just stating what I have found) I run the one quart of Lucas Syn additive because of it lubercating properties as well. just my .02
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.