Need expert advice - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2010, 01:40 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Need expert advice

Hey all... I have an ambulance in my fleet that seems to miss at an idle. I was told it had new injectors put in it right before I started here so I am at a loss as to where to go from here. you can feel a shake at idle and from the attached youtube link you can watch/hear it idle. Any suggestions would be awesome.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2010, 08:09 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I had the same issue it was un even fuel pressure to each head, It was something in the fuel bowl when I installed the electric system it idles and purrs like a new truck. It may be the same issue or not start with a fuel filter, drain fuel bowl, and clean FPR screen
Old 11-12-2010, 12:03 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96F350KID View Post
I had the same issue it was un even fuel pressure to each head, It was something in the fuel bowl when I installed the electric system it idles and purrs like a new truck. It may be the same issue or not start with a fuel filter, drain fuel bowl, and clean FPR screen
okay so I am new to the powerstroke world so I know where the fuel filter is etc. I could use a hand on locating the FPR... Also I read somewhere else about unplugging something that has to do with pressure regulation....? Supposedly if you unplug it and it runs smooth then you need to replace the FPR??? Thanks in advance for any answers.
Old 11-12-2010, 08:02 PM
Banned

That might of been my post im not sure. the ICP?? if you unplug it when you have a low power issue and its restored is more then likely a ICP issue thats a sensor on the drivers head its a three wire connector. The FPR is under a brass 19mm bolt that is a whole unit attached to the right of the fuel bowl( looking at the engine) by three 10mm bolts. when you pull that off on the fuel bowl itself is a screen which when clouged causes a poor running condition. I can take pictures and post if you like of my other truck.
Old 11-12-2010, 08:55 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Sounds like ICP?
Old 11-13-2010, 07:38 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
That might of been my post im not sure. the ICP?? if you unplug it when you have a low power issue and its restored is more then likely a ICP issue thats a sensor on the drivers head its a three wire connector. The FPR is under a brass 19mm bolt that is a whole unit attached to the right of the fuel bowl( looking at the engine) by three 10mm bolts. when you pull that off on the fuel bowl itself is a screen which when clouged causes a poor running condition. I can take pictures and post if you like of my other truck.
okay.. driver head... now the trick is finding it under the hood of a van. Ugh.. is it toward the front of the vehicle or the rear? I wanna know if taking off the inside engine cover would make it easy to gain access... any pics would be super appreciated!
Old 11-13-2010, 06:53 PM
Banned

Its behind the A/C compressor on a truck i don't know if its diffrient on a van or Ambulance with dual alts. Its in the front on the head on top of it looking at the engine its left of the intake bracket that is on a truck. if you pull it out and their is oil on it replace it. Also a bad ipr or ipr o-rings could cause that too is the CEL light on? Did it loose power? Does it fall on its face? I'll get those pics posted tomorrow.
Old 11-15-2010, 08:01 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Its behind the A/C compressor on a truck i don't know if its diffrient on a van or Ambulance with dual alts. Its in the front on the head on top of it looking at the engine its left of the intake bracket that is on a truck. if you pull it out and their is oil on it replace it. Also a bad ipr or ipr o-rings could cause that too is the CEL light on? Did it loose power? Does it fall on its face? I'll get those pics posted tomorrow.
It has lost some get up and go yes, but not really a dog. No CEL on it EVER. The only other symptom this unit has is that occasionally the brand new E4OD tranny will freak out and go into limp mode, but I have been told by the installer that it's probably due to the engine not running properly. I take that with a grain of salt because yes, it's not putting out its potential power HOWEVER it shouldn't throw it off enough to cause the tranny to go into limp mode. I am suspecting the tone ring on the diff. The Speedo bounces a little while moving and I've already replaced the VSS. I'd like to eliminate the poor idle and keep the tranny from blowing itself into pieces slam shifting.

thanks for your help. I'll see if I can find that behind the compressor - next question if I unplug it and it runs better is it bad to run it with it unplugged until I get the part on it?

Thanks
Old 11-15-2010, 06:29 PM
Banned

It will run it will default the computer to think the Icps at 425PSI which will throw the tranny into limp mode aswell. Pull the plug and look for oil on the plug. Also if its dry you need to aquire a scan tool to check the data. Also the Ipr could cause a rough run/ no start condition. 3 sensors will make the truck run bad, ICP, IPR, Oil Temp sensor, Any fuel leak as tiny as can be will cause a bad running condition. Every truck I ever worked on never threw the tranny into limp mode. HOWEVER if you have a code for ICP or IPR it will do it in a way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.