Poor driveability - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2010, 06:07 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Poor driveability

SO I have a new to me 1997 F350 5spd, it has a downpipe and IC (on the truck when I got it) appears to be stock exhaust and I am not sure of anyother mods. Here is what it does.. It runs great from about 1800-2100 turbo spooling and smooth, prior to those RPM's it stumbles on itself and than about 1800 she comes to life, from 2100 on up she seems to stutter and grumble. This is my first powerstroke (I have had Cummins trucks in the past) But they (early 12 valves) pulled way harder from the bottom end than this truck does. I think something isn't right. I ordered a 6637 intake kit, and will try and get the cat tested tomorrow to make sure I don't have any blockage in the exhaust, anyother ideas anyone has??? I haven't had the airfilter out yet, will pull it first thing in the morning and run it around the block. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Brian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2010, 09:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

**update** I did (4-5 days ago) change the fuel filter and throw a bottle of seafom in it with the new filter, BUT BUT BUT... when I opened the valve to drain the fuel bowl, NOTHING happened... A SILVERBACK gorilla put the last one on, so after alot of hammer time, it finally broke loose and DUMPED all over my garage floor, not sure if there is anything relating to driveability, but I think that bowl should drain with the fuel filter tightened down.. Didn't get any pressure at the fuel fill caps, but haven't tried it immediately upon shotdown
Old 10-30-2010, 10:10 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

****UPDATE***** pulled the airfilter this morning, and oh my what a mess, it is running ALOT better, does great until I really stand on it than still stumbles and grumbles a little, but definitely a huge improvement.. If I ease into it the power seems to all be there... I am thinking this truck didn't get driven a ton over the last year or two..
Old 10-30-2010, 10:51 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by portlandareae28 View Post
I think that bowl should drain with the fuel filter tightened down..
Nope, You have to loosen the cap to get the bowl to drain.
Old 11-10-2010, 07:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

so the truck is definitely running better, but it still stutters and stumbles from 1400-1900RPM, EXCEPT tonight when I started it up COLD (40 deg outside) to drive it home from work it runs INCREDIBLE when it is COLD, and starts to deteriorate as it warms up.... Anyideas???
Old 11-10-2010, 08:51 PM
Premium Member

First suspect would be injector o-rings. Had a similar issue where the truck ran pretty decent when cold but as the engine warmed up it ran like a turd. Had actually suspected the injectors themselves, but after pulling them out we discovered the 3 injectors had split o-rings. A quick replacement and the truck was good to go.

If you can, check the ICP under load and if it falls off pretty sharply then it's a pretty sure bet that your problem is either HPOP or injector related. If not, you can at least eliminate that.

Good luck!
Old 11-10-2010, 08:54 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

please forgive my (bmw driving gas engine) ignorance, how do I check the ICP under load?
Old 11-10-2010, 09:03 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by portlandareae28 View Post
please forgive my (bmw driving gas engine) ignorance, how do I check the ICP under load?
If you have access to a scan tool, it will be one of the PIDs. If not, then a 4000 PSI mechanical gauge is in order. Certainly, the scan tool will offer more flexibility since it can provide a host of information, but it's not without cost. Any good diagnostic shops in your area?
Old 11-10-2010, 09:07 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

What Scantool would I need????

"The Powershop" in Enumclaw Wa. is 10 minutes away, they are supposed to be good!!
Old 11-10-2010, 09:34 PM
Premium Member

Snap-On, Mac, or Ford tools such as WDS, IDS or NGS. Also, other laptop based tools such as Auto Enginuity would work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.