96 psd start problem - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2010, 11:19 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
96 psd start problem

this just started happening. i had a problem before with it not starting and ended up thinking it was an air bubble in the line because one day i filled it up with diesel then when i went to leave it wouldnt start. ended up using starter fluid to get it bumping n it finally turned over so i ran it and never had a problem again. no problems for a few months now

now just yesterday i tried bumping it just to run it n keep the batteries good n charged. but when i went to start it and i cant remember if it bumped over or not but either it was running or when i was bumping it i heard a squeeling sound and though wtf? anyways i told my dad to bump it while i looked in the engine bank. it wouldnt start for him, then i look over at the tail pipe while hes cranking it and it was kind of a whiteish smoke but not like creamy white yet. anyways im wondering if theres a glow plug issue? replaced the glow plug relay a while back
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2010, 12:36 PM

Are the temperatures low when you attempt to start?The white smoke is a good indicator of fuel entering combustion chamber,thus the unburnt smoke.Sounds as if you have glow plugs malfunction. I too went thru same thing with both PSD's I have owned.Watch your amp gauge during wait to start cycle,you will see very low reading if all plugs are 100%,if not most likely some plugs are not functioning .The glow plug relay stays energized up to two minutes depending on the ambient temperature.Just changed plugs and relay the amp gauge shows a greater amount of draw"discharge" indicating complete function
Old 10-26-2010, 01:14 PM

it wasnt all that cold. probly low 40s maybe? farenheit that is. i have a 250 amp alternator and 4 batteries so my discharge probly wont be quite as low as yours but im thinking it might be the glow plugs. i have a block heater but im not sure if that will help
Old 10-26-2010, 02:02 PM

50 and below is the magic temperature for the test of glow plug system.Block heater will be a huge help when glow plugs are not at their best.Block heater warms coolant and of course improves starting and decreases warm up time.Bet you my last dollar you are in need of plugs
Old 10-27-2010, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chop View Post
50 and below is the magic temperature for the test of glow plug system.Block heater will be a huge help when glow plugs are not at their best.Block heater warms coolant and of course improves starting and decreases warm up time.Bet you my last dollar you are in need of plugs
well im poor as **** so after i fix em and it ends up being something else ill give you my paypal lol! na jk but yea i would like to get this effer fixed. kinda tired of having to fix **** man. does it ever just get on your nerves lol always having to fix a new rig. now if i saw it as a treat or an award to have to fix things. my life would be great. id probly be blowing loads all day long if that were the case haha. excuse my weirdness but ive been sick in the house for like 3 days straight and i might be losing my mind a little hehe
Old 10-27-2010, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chop View Post
god damit, double post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.