Coolant blowing out fill tank cap. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2010, 07:34 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Coolant blowing out fill tank cap.

I have a 96 and after about 15-20 seconds of idling it seems to start building up a pile of pressure coolant starts foaming up outta the cap. My first thought was the rad was plugged somewhere but I wasn't sure if a bad thermostat would make it do that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2010, 07:44 AM
OCONUS

I would first check that your T-Stat is functioning. Sounds like it may be stuck closed if you are getting pressure/heat buildup that quickly.
Old 06-07-2010, 03:46 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Well I changed the t-stat today, no change, still doing the same thing. I cracked the ECT sensor to let some air out and i got air, but then coolant so I tightened it back up and filled the tank and still the same thing. I then let it idle with the sensor out, and the cap on and I didn't get anything, until I cracked the cap and it all drained out and started pouring out the sensor hole. I'm at a stand still
Old 06-08-2010, 05:16 PM
Premium Member

im thinking injector cups?
Old 06-08-2010, 05:20 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Sounds like cups to me.
Old 06-09-2010, 01:13 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

yeah, i could almost bet 100% that's what it is because i just put stage 1's in the truck. thanks guys.
Old 06-14-2010, 11:30 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Coolant

I'm new to this forum but I'm looking for some answers. I can drive my truck daily with no problems and my coolant doesnt drop. I hook up to my big toy hauler and she warms up to about 3/4 on the gauge and blows water out the tank. When normal driving it runs at about half on the gauge. Please help
Old 06-14-2010, 01:58 PM

Rockin J, make sure the fan clutch is working. You can definitely hear them when they engage. If that's not it then it might mean the radiator core is partially plugged. That would mean a trip to the radiator shop. I don't think it's a thermostat since it behaves well unloaded but it's a remote possibility as well. Good Luck
Old 06-14-2010, 07:05 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Blowing coolant out the cap

Thank you for the ideas, I just wantedto add that i have changed the thermostat and it still does it. Today when i got home from work and the truck was at op temp i left it running and got out and checked the top radiator hose and it was empty of any water and the Fill tank was only warm when i think it should def be hot to the touch. I called a ford dealer todayand of course they jumped right on that I had a blown head gasket. I would think that it would blow air through the tank all the time if that was the case. When i pull my trailer i do not hear the fan clutch engage when it heats up. Please send me any more help with this!!!
Old 06-15-2010, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin J View Post
Thank you for the ideas, I just wantedto add that i have changed the thermostat and it still does it. Today when i got home from work and the truck was at op temp i left it running and got out and checked the top radiator hose and it was empty of any water and the Fill tank was only warm when i think it should def be hot to the touch. I called a ford dealer todayand of course they jumped right on that I had a blown head gasket. I would think that it would blow air through the tank all the time if that was the case. When i pull my trailer i do not hear the fan clutch engage when it heats up. Please send me any more help with this!!!
What I used to do at the Ford garage to test them was first inspect them for excessive leakage. With the vehicle cold the fan shouldn't spin too freely. If it totally freewheels, it's junk. Then I'd block off the radiator and mount a thermometer and run the vehicle 'till it got to 190*. A good clutch should have engaged by then and on our trucks you can definitely hear them come on. These things aren't cheap for the PowerSmokes. I changed mine last spring. Like $160 or so. Can you hear your fan when you first start the truck?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.