97 7.3 injector problems - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2010, 03:04 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
97 7.3 injector problems

Hello, Thursday i pulled my injectors on my 7.3 and did a stage 1 diy kit. This was my second time doing a rebuild kit( i helped my buddy do a stage 1 kit in his truck with great success). So i pulled my injectors disassembled, and put individual injector parts in their own bags to keep the parts separate. I had the intensifier pistons machined by a reputable machine shop, and they are all within a half a thousandth of each other as per the instructions. I reassembled the injectors and am about 99 percent sure they where reassembled correctly. I reinstalled the injectors without any problems, new glow plugs, and put the valve covers back on. I cranked the engine 30 seconds at a time until it fired, it ran rough for a little while, and then smoothed out. It sounds like it still has a miss on at least 1 cylinder. I let it idle for around a half hour and turned it off. I went to re-fire it and it took at least 10 seconds of cranking for it to finally fire, it ran rough and smoothed out once again. i took it through out the rpm range and let it idle, still sounding like its missing on a few cylinders. I took it for a short test drive and right before turning back in the driveway the truck stalled. I tried starting it about 30 seconds later and it wouldn't start. I waited about 5 minutes, tried starting it again, it fired after about 20 seconds of cranking. I have checked, and double checked everything that comes to mind and have no ideas. Today i went to start it it started after about 10 seconds of cranking, and put it on high idle after about 5 minutes of idling after about a minute on high idle it sounded like it was going to stall so i quickly switched to a normal idle setting, it idled back to its normal idle rpm then stalled shortly after. It sounds like a lack of fuel issue to me but i'm not sure where to start. i checked my fuel pressure gauge and it is right around 80 psi. I put the truck on a scanner, ran a buzz test and it passes, tried to do a cylinder contribution test however it wouldn't let me because it said my oil temp sensor was bad, i replaced my sensor with a sensor from my buddies truck cleared the codes, and tried again but again it said the sensor was bad. I have no idea what to try next, and need the truck running grade A ASAP. any help would be greatly greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2010, 07:50 AM

did you add oil back to the hpop resevoir?
Old 05-30-2010, 03:13 PM

I did not add any oil to the resevoir i was told that the injection system was self bleeding. i just today pulled the valve covers, started the truck and one at a time unplugged the injectors. 2 of the injectors made no difference in the running of the truck, so i assumed they weren't right. I pulled them and disassembled them. i installed some .001 shims under the armature to bring them back into the tolerances. I reinstalled the injectors and the idle problem improved and seemed to have smoothed out the miss. i let the truck idle for a while and it seemed to be running better. idling smoother and revving fine. i decided to take it out on the road, on the way down my driveway it was running good. As soon as i took it out on the road i gave it about quarter throttle and i knew it was doing the same thing as before. I pulled in the first driveway and it stalled out. I let it sit for about a minute and started cranking it. I cranked for about 30 seconds and it fired a couple pops, i let it sit a little longer and cranked again, this time it fired and stayed running after about 20 seconds. i was able to get it to my driveway before it stalled. i have no idea what to do with the darn thing and would love to have it running good by tuesday. Thanks for any help.
Old 06-02-2010, 01:57 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I just had a similar stalling problem / no start. I checked the oil level in the HPOP reservoir and it was pretty much empty. I refilled the reservoir with fresh oil and it started right back up. I believe that when you remove the injectors, you probably loose about 2-3 quarts of oil. Anyone please chime in if I am wrong in this thinking! But, I do know it's any easy check. Plus make sure your engine oil level is up. I know this is simple, but sometimes we look at the harder things instead of easier. I still do it, and I'm 40.

Best of luck!

Hammy
Old 06-02-2010, 05:43 PM

injector problem

Problem solved! When i installed the injectors i didn't have a torque wrench so i did the old "snug and a little" method i pulled the valve covers and tightened each of the injector hold down bolts about a quarter to a half of a turn. The truck is now running good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.