Disconnect fuel bowl heater - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2009, 04:03 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Disconnect fuel bowl heater

Can someone give me the directions for disconecting the fuel bowl heater on my 96 F-250? Which wire do I disconnect? Thanks in advance for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2009, 04:29 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Take the filter out,remove the stand pipe( its a reverse thread) it may only be hand tight.Under that is a stainless steel plate with an element,Unplug it and remove the element from the plate,put the plate back on,standpipe back on,filter in,cap on,your done.Or you can just unplug it from the connection on the outside of the bowl,but that leaves a hot wire that could short out if not well taped and secured,although using this method it can be plugged back in when it gets colder.Greg
Old 12-18-2009, 04:36 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Sorry,question was which wire,i think its the one on the bottom of the fuel bowl.the heater plugs in under that ss plate.Where it plugs in on the inside....its that wire on the outside.While your in there,clean the fpr screen...top right side of the bowl(drivers side).Greg
Old 12-19-2009, 02:51 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

My truck is still down. I unpluged the wire on the drivers side at the bottom(blue wire with an end like the ones on heat or oil sending unit)replaced the fuse and tried to start. Wait to start light came on and just as soon as I turned it over the fuse blew again. There is a wire just above the one I unpluggerd with a banjo shaped end and looks to be a brown wire. Is this the wire I need to unhook? Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-20-2009, 11:46 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Wareagle,
I'm having same problem with my 95 F-350 7.3.
Did you get yours running yet?
On my way to Walmart for more fuses...
Jim
Old 12-20-2009, 01:53 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95 stroker View Post
Wareagle,
I'm having same problem with my 95 F-350 7.3.
Did you get yours running yet?
On my way to Walmart for more fuses...
Jim
Yes I got mine to running about 2 hours ago. Here is what I did. First thing remove the cover from the fuel filter area so you can see what you are doing instead of trying to do everything through the little door. Second This where you need to decide which corse you will take. A remove heater or B unplug heater. If you choose A then remove fuel filter , drain fuel bowl , remove nut from the center shaft ( turn it clockwise because it is LH threads), remove the heater beneath it it will plug in on the drivers side of the fuel filter housing. If you chose B method on the drivers side of the fuel filter housing there is a wire that plugs into the side of the fuel filter housing that is about the size of a dime ( I think the wire is brown), this is what you will need to unplug . Third replace blown fuse. Forth crank truck and drive it like you stole it. I hope this helps.

By the way thanks to all of you for the help with my truck. I am glasd to see there are some good people in this world.
Old 12-20-2009, 03:30 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Good your up an runnin....alot of good info here...it saves alot of frustration,time,cash..ect.Greg
Old 02-20-2010, 06:58 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to Midwestern4x4 Send a message via Yahoo to Midwestern4x4
I'm having the same issue but cant figure which plug on the bowl to take off my 99 ...
Old 02-20-2010, 02:35 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwestern4x4 View Post
I'm having the same issue but cant figure which plug on the bowl to take off my 99 ...
The plug on mine was the one about the size of a dimeand the second plug up from the bottom. It is real easy to unhook from the inside of your fuel bowl if you choose to go that route.
Old 03-01-2010, 08:21 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I think the real problem is that the fuel heater is run on the same line as the injector control module. So when the fuel heater shorts out and blows the fuse it keeps the injector controller and glow plug relay controller from getting power. I had the same problem today. I went over a big bump going about 50km/h and the truck suddenly died at speed. It took some fighting just to get it stopped and pulled off the road since everything is run on either pulleys or vacuum pumps. I believe the wires are brown and yellow for the plug.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.