30 amp glow plug relay fuse - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2009, 08:37 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
30 amp glow plug relay fuse

I am posting this for my uncle...

He has a 1995 and it keeps blowing the 30 amp glow plug relay fuse.

He took it to a shop and they can't find anything.

When it blows the fuse, the wait light won't work and the truck won't start. He replaced the glow plug relay. Still blows fuses every so often while driving.

He put in a 40 amp fuse,starts and runs...

Anyone got any ideas why this cold be happening?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2009, 10:53 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

i am having the same problem and i have found out the fuel bowl heater inside the fuel filter housing is shorting out to ground and the glow plug relay and this heater are on the same fuse and am about to take the element out of the fuel bowl

Craig
Old 12-07-2009, 10:58 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

yep unplug the fuel bowl heater and see if that fixes it
Old 12-07-2009, 12:45 PM

Glad to have found this thread. I'm having the exact same issue it seems. Looking for some advise.

My problem started 6 days ago. I started my truck and let it warm up for about 5 minutes. Started just fine, nothing out of the ordinary. It ran for about 5 minutes. As I was opening the door to jump in and drive away, the engine just died. No sputtering, it just shut off, just like I would taking out the key.

I tried to start the truck again, it cranked and cranked but never turned over. I noticed that my 'wait to start' light wasn't coming on. Thought that was strange. I did some searching on other threads here in the forums and found out that it could be due to a shorting fuel bowl heater. Looked under the hood where the fuses are. The #22 30amp fuse was popped.

I went got 2 30amp fuses to replace. I figured I'd try a new fuse w/o doing anything else. I put it in, truck started normally. Drove about 2 miles down the road, sure enough, thing just dies approaching an intersection. I put in the 2nd fuse and got it home.

At this point I believed this was due to the fuel bowl heater since I popped the fuse again. I unplugged what I believe was the fuel bowl heater wire (near the top of the fuel bowl/filter, plug on the drivers side of the bowl). After I unplugged it, I replaced the fuse once more just to be sure. Started the truck up, and it ran with no issue for over 75 miles. Seems like I had found the issue.

Until this morning. Went to start up the truck. This time the 'wait to start' light came on only for a split second. Sure enough though, tried to start it, but only would crank, wouldn't turn over. Put one more 30amp fuse in and again, tried to start and the 'wait to start' light came on only for a split second.

So, I thought I had narrowed down the issue but now am not so sure. My thinking is either I unplugged the wrong connection wire on the fuel bowl, or something else is going popping the fuse. I thought about putting in a 35amp fuse in but haven't because I'm afraid it would cause damage if I do.

Any ideas?
Old 12-07-2009, 12:57 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

well i just test drove mine after having this problem and seems to be fixed i removed the fuel filter and bent a 22mm wrench to remove the pipe in the middle of housing took out the little element that had broke and i unpluged the wire on the outside of the filter housing and it is on the lower drivers side of the filter housing the top wire going to the housing and i made sure it will not touch anything and short again seems to be fixed but i will see

craig
Old 12-07-2009, 01:14 PM

So you unplugged the lower wire to the fuel bowl? I wonder then what the upper wire is for then? Good to hear you got it going tho, I'll have to try that...
Old 12-07-2009, 05:02 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I unpluged the upper wire for the fuel heater the lower wire must be for the water in fuel or something not sure but i only unpluged the upper wire on the left side (driver side) of the fuel filter housing about half way down the housing
Old 12-07-2009, 06:18 PM

Hmm, well hopefully its is fixed more than mine is right now. I'm still stumped. The top wire is disconnected off the fuel bowl and still, I'm popping that #22 30 amp fuse. Its popping instantly too, as soon as my wait to start light comes on, the fuse pops. The wait to start indicator is only on for a split second too.

Anyone have any other ideas where to look next to see what's popping that fuse?
Old 12-07-2009, 07:13 PM

Plug a like amperage circuit breaker in (if you have the room to install) instead of replacing blowing fuses while you check things out. After repair your option to keep or remove C/B
Old 12-08-2009, 07:29 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I tried to get my uncle to just unplug the heater but he just replaced it.

PROBLEM SOLVED!!!

Thanks for the help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.