Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

White smoke on startup

8K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  White95f250 
#1 ·
I have a 97 F350 with about 220,XXX miles on it and ive been getting more white smoke on start ups recently, it'll white smoke until the motor is warmed up. Ran my truck out of fuel twice and the second time I didnt have my lines bled properly, I just cranked it for 15-20 second intervals until it started running. Not sure if I could have leaking injectors or just need new o-rings, looking for some feedback from someone who knows alot more than I do

#2 ·
Try performing these tests for the glowplugs and wiring:

For checking the injector/glowplug wiring: From each valvecover gasket connection's outermost pins (2 per connector) to ground you should get 0.1 to 2 ohms (indicates good plug and wiring). From each valvecover gasket connection's center pin to each immediately adjacent pin, you should get around 3 ohms (indicates good injector solenoid and wiring). You should not get any continuity from any of the outer pins to the 3 inner pins (indicates no shorts between injector and glowplug wiring). You should also get 0 to 1 ohms from each of the external harness connectors outer pins back to the Glowplug Relay's large terminal on the GP side (indicates good wiring from external connections back to the relay).

To check the glowplug relay (GPR), measure the voltage drop across the GPR's large terminals. While the GPR is active (up to 1.5 to 2 minutes after the key is turned to Wait-to-Start) put your meter leads on the large terminals (one lead on one large terminal and the other lead on the other large terminal). The measures how much voltage is being "lost" across the relay. A reading of 0.3V or more indicates a bad relay.

If those tests go well, your injector poppets could be getting worn (my 94 used to smoke a lot of white smoke on cold startups with good plugs and relay, but worn injectors). Cheers!

Reactions: BenCamp
#3 ·
Yup^^^

White smoke is fuel not getting burnt. Not to be confused with oil.

GPR or glow plugs. If unsure of glow plug condition it would be good to replace them, UVCH and valve cover gaskets while you're under there. Did mine 4yrs ago and will be under the valve cover again shortly for injectors.

#5 ·
And you ran a compression test to verify this blown headgasket?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.